a light flat

< Previous | Next >

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
I know that in (British) English it's ok to say "the room is bright/light", meaning that it has a lot of sunlight. Now, is it normal to say "a bright/light flat/house"? Or "The flat is very light"?

Last edited:
  • tepatria

Canadian English
    When describing a house or apartment, I would say it gets a lot of light. A bright house could refer to the colour the house is painted, bright yellow or bright green.

Matching Mole

England, English
    I agree with tepatria. As used in the sentence both light and bright will be taken to mean light or bright in colour, rather than well-lit. Light could also mean light in weight. A flat being light in weight doesn't make much sense, but nevertheless the phrasing gives the impression that this is what is meant.

Bright, in reference to an interior, however, may also refer to its ambience, which may be a combination of colour and lighting. It still does not give the impression to me that it only means receiving a lot of light, though.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I agree with MM that a "bright flat" doesn't necessarily mean that it's light. It could be painted with gay colours that make it "bright". If I wanted to describe such a flat, I'd probably say "light and bright" or "light and sunny".

< Previous | Next >