a < light / vigorous> excercise plan

< Previous | Next >

Hillarious

India - Hindi
Which word should I choose from the given options below to make this sentence meaningful ?

After the actress gave birth to twins, she began a -------------- excercise plan to restore her pre-pregnancy shape.

A) light
B)hard
C)unfriendly
D)tested
E)vigorous

As for me, 'light' should be there.

• The Newt

English - US
    I suspect the test wants you to answer "vigorous," although "light" would also make sense; that is, a plan of light exercise.

Retired-teacher

British English
    I agree that "light" is best. "Unfriendly" and "tested" are totally inappropriate. I don't think "hard" or "vigorous" is advisable soon after giving birth.

The Newt

English - US
    I agree that "light" is best. "Unfriendly" and "tested" are totally inappropriate. I don't think "hard" or "vigorous" is advisable soon after giving birth.
    "Vigorous exercise" is such a standard expression that I suspect that it's supposed to be the right answer, especially since the goal is to restore her pre-pregnancy shape, which "light exercise" might not do. Whether it's advisable to begin vigorous exercise immediately after pregnancy is another matter. It's a poorly thought-out question, since it expects both language proficiency and medical advice.

Retired-teacher

British English
    It may not be the best of questions, but I remain convinced that "light" was the expected answer. To me "vigorous exercise" involves strenuous effort and I can't see that being advisable soon after giving birth. Neither would I expect any woman in that situation to feel like "vigorous exercise". I am sure that she would start with light exercise which might develop into more vigorous exercise later.

The OP does say "After the actress gave birth . . . " which I assume means soon after.

Last edited:

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It's a bad question, because there are several possible answers. The only one that is not possible is "unfriendly", both because of the meaning and because it begins with a vowel.

In particular, an argument can be made for "light" (wiser under the circumstances) or "vigorous" (giving faster results). Considering how much some people care about their physical shape, especially if appearance is important in their work, an actress might be tempted to overdo the exercise.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "After she gave birth to twins" doesn't necessarily mean "a few days after" - it could be several months after, in which case there's nothing to prevent her starting some vigorous exercise. Another silly multiple-choice question.

suzi br

English / England
    I totally agree with Hildy. We can make a case for all but one of these. Unfriendly wont work. The others all have merit. Vigorous might not be advised after childbirth but actresses are regularly looked at for speed of return to pre-baby glamour.
    Dreadful test.
    What did the teacher want? Unless you are the teacher. In which case, re-write your question! ;)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I agree with Pete's summary of previous comments about this daft exercise. We have no way of knowing whether 'light' or 'vigorous' is correct. Many of these celebrity women determine to lose their 'baby weight' as fast as possible through extreme diet and exercise. Common sense doesn't come into it.

( With apologies for the italics. I'm having to use my i-pad.)

< Previous | Next >