a limited number of places

PacoBajito

Italiano standard, Napoletano
I would like to say in German
"A limitated number of places is avalaible for the show tonight: someone, if I remember well, recounts the Odyssey in a different way from Homer. Let's go there: the price is cheap too".

Do you think it's right?

Beschränkter Zahl Plätze ist vorhanden für die Aufführung heute Abend: wenn ich mich recht erinnere, jemand erzählt Odyssee verschieden aus Homer. Gehen wir dort: dazu/auch ist der Preis massig/billig

I hope there aren't too many Irrtuemer:)
Thank you everybody in advance

• schabernack

Austria, German
    Fuer die Show heute Abend ist eine beschraenkte Anzahl an Plaetzen verfuegbar.
    Jemand, wenn ich mir recht erinnere wird Homer's Odyssey nacherzaehlen (...diferent way..)
    Lass uns hin gehen. Es ist auch billig.

someone recounts the Odyssey in a different way from Homer. That doesn't even make sense in English. I can guess what you mean.

PacoBajito

Thanks for answering even if it would be more useful to me to understand why what I wrote was wrong (for example why you have chosen show and auch istead of auffuehrung and dazu).

I meaned the speaker had changed somehow the homeric account. It was written actually bad :)

Last edited:

Toadie

English
    Fuer die Show heute Abend ist eine beschraenkte Anzahl an Plaetzen verfuegbar.
    Jemand, wenn ich mir recht erinnere wird Homer's Odyssey nacherzaehlen (...diferent way..)
    Lass uns hin gehen. Es ist auch billig.

someone recounts the Odyssey in a different way from Homer.That doesn't even make sense in English. I can guess what you mean.

It makes perfect sense in English!

Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    I will try to explain your mistakes:
    1. sentence: "A limited number of places is available for the show tonight"
    first of all just as in English you have to use the indefinite article "a" - "eine" in this case because of the genus of "Anzahl"
    "Eine beschränkte Anzahl Plätze ist verfügbar für die Vorstellung heute Abend" that would be perfectly correct but it sounds pretty awkward with this word order. "Für die Vorstellung heute abend ist eine beschränkte Anzahl an Plätzen verfügbar" It just sounds better that way.
    2. sentence: "someone, if I remeber well, recounts the Odyssey in a different way from Homer"
    Direct translation would be: "Jemand, wenn ich mich recht erinnere, rezitiert die Odyssee in einer anderen Version als Homer."
    Your mistakes: It's either "wenn ich mich recht erinnere, rezitiert jemand..." or "Jemand rezitiert... , wenn ich mich recht erinnere" or "Jemand, wenn ich mich recht einnere, rezitiert" If I am not mistaken, that is because putting "wenn ich mich recht erinnere" at the first position that makes both sentences a conditional statement, while using the second or third version "wenn ich mich recht erinnere" is just an insertion, but I have to admit I'm not quite sure about that. Then again, the definite article "the Odyssey" "die Odyssee". And finally "verschieden aus Homer" doesn't make much sense in German. The closest thing to what you wrote is "zu Homer verschieden" which would translate to "different(ly) to Homer". "in a different way" is "auf unterschiedliche Weise" in German. So "in a different way from Homer" is "auf unterschiedliche Weise zu Homer". Since the German expression "unterschiedliche Weise" sounds a litte strange when it comes to recounting Stories or Poems, I chose "in einer anderen Version" instead of "auf eine unterschiedliche Weise" "anders" and "unterschiedliche" are interchangeable in this case.
    Now for the word order again. This version doesn't sound as awkward as the first sentence but I think it still needs improvement. So I would do exactly as you did an put "wenn ich mich recht erinnere" at the front. Now we have "Wenn ich mich recht erinner, rezitiert jemand die Odyssee in einer anderen Version als Homer"
    3. Sentence: "let's go there, the price is cheap too"
    As usual for you mistakes first: In German a construction "<Ort> gehen" as in English "to go <place>" doesn't work. It has to be "to go there" "dort hin gehen", "to go home" "nach Hause gehen" etc. And in the second part, just don't chance the word order too much "Der Preis ist auch billig" "Der Preis ist zudem billig". If you want to use "dazu" it has to be "Dazu ist der Preis billig" "Noch dazu ist der Preis billig" "Dazu ist auch der Preis billig" a.s.o. Other words for "billig" would be "niedrig" or "erschwinglich". "Mäßig" means "moderate" you really have to use "ä" and "ß" because "massig" means "massy"

PacoBajito

Great explaination Kuestenwache; it was very useful to me to understand what was wrong

So, if I'm right, my main kinds of mistakes are:
    1)word order
    2)expressions (both words and phrases) that are technically correct but don't work actually fine

Ps I've been studying German for about 2 months. Do you think I'm learning fine or that I should already have a more advanced knowledge level?

Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    Hard to say, I never tried to learn German as a foreign language so I can't judge about the difficulty. But to be honest, after two years of taking two lessons Italian every week at school judging by my marks it wasn't really any better, so I guess since German is probably one of the most difficult European languages to lern if not as native language, I think you're doing quite well. Some things are just a matter of vocabulary like "Zahl" - "Anzahl" or "vorhanden" - "verfügbar", things like that just take time. Maybe if learning vocabluary you should concentrate more on the genus. You can't really judge by pronounciation or writing if it's m/f/n in German. I noticed, that you obviously mixed up "il nummero" and "die (An)Zahl" it's m in Italian and f in German. But I would have understood the sentence, or at least the content, the way you wrote it so I guess for two months depending on how hard you study, your skill is quite ok.

PacoBajito

Maybe if learning vocabluary you should concentrate more on the genus. You can't really judge by pronounciation or writing if it's m/f/n in German. I noticed, that you obviously mixed up "il nummero" and "die (An)Zahl" it's m in Italian and f in German.
    Thanks very much. In particular das right Genus is very difficoult to llearn/guess correctly (and the plural form too).
    Ps just to confirm the hardness of our languages the Rechtschreibung is numero :) Don't hesitate to contact me (even with private messages) in case of doubts with the Italian.

< Previous | Next >