A line of dialogue from a novel

Fresie

Russian, English
Hi guys,

I need your help please!

An author I work with included a Romanian phrase in his book but he's not a native Romanian speaker. Could you please have a look and tell me if the phrase is correct - grammar, spelling, word choice, etc? It's part of a Romanian character's dialogue:

"Margo, vă rugăm naște copii afară. Și vă cer să stai acolo, de asemenea."

Thank you very much!

Fresie

• Fresie

Russian, English
    Hi,
    Where is thaaat taken from?
    Very weird, more like a Romanian 'shake' than a Romanian talk.
    Hi,

Thanks a lot! I think I know what it is! :) I've just run it through GoogleTranslate and this is what I got back in English:

"Margo, please take the children outside and stay there with them, too."

I wonder if you (or anyone?) could be so kind to translate this English phrase into Romanian for me, please? The peasant speaker says it to his wife: he wants to discuss some secretive matters with his guests so he asks his wife to take the children out and stay outside with them.

Thank you very much in advance!

irinet

Romanian
    Hi,

Thanks a lot! I think I know what it is! :) I've just run it through GoogleTranslate and this is what I got back in English:

"Margo, please take the children outside and stay there with them, too."
    "Margo, du, te rog, copiii afară și rămâi și tu cu ei".

farscape

mod-errare humanum est
    Romanian
    I'm assuming the woman's name is Marga (which in that type of pharase would become Margo), not exactly a name you'd find everyday for a peasnt's wife. Now, if you give as more context, to be able to distinguish between farmer and peasant we could make it as authetic as possible.

Later,

Fresie

Russian, English
    I'm assuming the woman's name is Marga (which in that type of pharase would become Margo), not exactly a name you'd find everyday for a peasnt's wife. Now, if you give as more context, to be able to distinguish between farmer and peasant we could make it as authetic as possible.

Later,
    farscape, Irinet, thank you very much!!!

The backstory is: The time is around 1900. The speaker used to be a rich German merchant's son who fell in love with a Romanian peasant girl (Marga), got disinherited and moved to Romania to live in her fishing village near the Danube delta. In the above fragment, he's sitting in their cottage conspiring with a few other characters so he asks his wife to leave the room and take their curious children out, too.

I really appreciate your help!!

stormwatch

Romanian
    Hi guys,
    "Margo, vă rugăm naște copii afară. Și vă cer să stai acolo, de asemenea."
    Thank you very much!
    Fresie
    You can tell very easily that he is not a Romanian speaker. What he said there means „Margo, please, is having babies (like in giving birth to them) outside. And I'm asking you to stay there, too”.

Given the context you provided, he should (could) have said: „Margo, ieşi puţin cu copiii afară.” (means „Margo, would you leave the room for a moment (together with the children) ?”

Fresie

Russian, English
    stormwatch, :D This is one of those mistakes a translator should avoid at all costs!!!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help.

< Previous | Next >