a line that ran high to daughters.

almostfreebird

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
Hello there, here is my question.

He returned to Saint Stephens only once, to find
a wife, and with her established a line that ran high to daughters.
(To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 1)

Can you explain the meaning of the bold part so that
I can understand comfortably?

Thanks in advance.

• Jeffy Jay

English-American
    Yes, you're right about him having had many daughters as children, but I think what he's trying to emphasis is that he had many children, sons and daughters, but the daughters outnumbered the sons.

almostfreebird

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
    I especially don't get the feeling of "ran high", because It makes me imagine like as if a line is hanging high in the air. Can you give me another verb instead of "ran" for me to get the expression right?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I have a neighbour who is a famous doctor and he told me the other day, apropos something else, that the genetic make-up of some couples will incline them to have many more daughters than sons. I don't think it can work in the other direction, if I understood him correctly.

It might help, Almostfreebird, to think of the verb as to run to and consider high as an intensifier. People run to fat, or to seed, and families can run to daughters: if they run high to daughters, they do it on a grand scale.

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Thank you almostfreebird. From, what I read from the phrase, is that the wife has a family line (descendants) that have more daughters than sons; therefore it would be likely that when they have children they will have more girls than boys.

< Previous | Next >