A literal definition to "down the road"

< Previous | Next >
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a literal definition for the expression "down the road". Does it always imply "descending the road"(to move from a higher level to a lower one)? Here are some contexts/examples. Please take a look.

a. I think the house is down the road. Just go straight ahead and you'll find it.
b. The water went down the road as it rained.

Thank you in advance!

• owlman5

English-US
    It does not always mean "descending the road", Xavier. Sometimes it means "farther along the road": (A speaker, pointing): You'll find it just down the road on your left.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Looking up down in the WR dictionary, I see these two definitions:

adverb: 1 towards or in a lower place or position. ■ to or at a place perceived as lower.
    preposition: 2 at a point further along the course of. along the course or extent of.

My point being that I don't personally feel the need to use "down" only when the place I'm describing is physically lower. I may imagine it's lower or at least further along from where I am. If someone is walking on a relatively flat or slightly inclining road from the south and asks me directions, I'm comfortable saying he needs to continue down the road -- even though he'll still be traveling north. If there's a huge hill that we can both see, however, I would probably use "along."

< Previous | Next >