a little bit at a time

hank122s

English-US
Greetings all, I am new to posting but have used the reference a few times and appreciate everyone's help here.

My question is that I am trying to write the French equivalent of the sentence;

"One reveals (or shares) some things from the heart a little bit at a time."
I'm stuck on the "at a time" part and maybe the whole thing doesn't seem right either. What would be the best way to express the thought behind this sentence? I have so far this;

"On revele quelques choses du coeur un peu à temps"

Thanks for any help.

Hank

• afilnit

French
    "One reveals (or shares) some things from the heart a little bit at a time."
    =
    "On révèle parfois un peu certaines choses (venant) du coeur"
    or
    "Il arrive d'un peu révéler certaines choses (venant) du coeur"
    or
    "Il peut arriver d'un peu révéler certaines choses (venant) du coeur"

I'd like to translate "at a time" like "sometimes", "at one moment" ; like it can going on, it can occur that...

Last edited:

Kelly B

USA English
    I'm not sure what to do with at a time by itself, but for a little bit at a time I'd usually choose peu à peu (little by little).

hank122s

English-US
    Thank you both for the help. I think I am trying for something with the "little by little" idea. Could I say it this way;

On révèle parfois, peu à peu, certaines choses (venant) du coeur ?

Mauricet

French - France
    Je traduirais a little bit at a time, comme little by little, par petit à petit. "Il y a des choses, venant du coeur, qu'on ne partage que petit à petit".

afilnit

French
    Yes, I think too that "a little bit at a time" means "petit à petit", in this case anyway.

So :
    - "Il y a certaines choses (venant) du coeur qu'on ne révèle que petit à petit".
    - "Il y a certaines choses (venant) du coeur que l'on ne révèle que petit à petit".

hank122s

English-US
    Thanks to all for the help with this! The words have now been written and delivered. =)

regards,
    Hank

< Previous | Next >