A little bit of everything is burning

NewAmerica

Mandarin
The expression "A little bit of everything is burning" sounds peculiar to me. Wood, grass, animals... a little bit of them is burning...Okay, that is understandable. But would rock burn? Would water burn since you said "everything"?

So I simply understand the expression as an exaggeration of the weather that is at a critical point beyond which everything will burn.

Am I on the right track?

A little bit of everything is burning.’: A NASA scientist dissects Amazon fires
A rash of fires in the Brazilian Amazon has caused diplomatic tensions between Brazil and several European countries and triggered protests from environmental groups around the world. Brazil’s government has pledged to stop the fires and sent in the military but denies its policies and rhetoric are responsible.

Source: Science By Herton Escobar Aug. 30, 2019
‘A little bit of everything is burning.’: A NASA scientist dissects Amazon fires

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The expression "A little bit of everything is burning" sounds peculiar to me.
    It isn't an expression. It's a title. It is also a quote from the article. The quote is taken out of context. It was never meant to be a stand-alone sentence with a meaning of its own.

A title is an advertisement for the article. It is written to get the interest and attention of readers, so they will read the article.

A title is not a statement or an expression with a "meaning".

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Have you read the part of the text in which that sentence is put in context? It is not particularly talking about wood, grass or animals.
    Yes I read it before posting this thread. What does it mean? Nothing except Clickbaiting as dojibear said?

Chez

English English
    Well clearly it means there are fires which are burning all sorts of things. But as all other contributors have said, it is not trying to get across any particular concept, it is just a title that gives you an idea of what the article will be about. The quote marks show you it will be quoted later in the text and that should give you all the context you need to understand it.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes I read it before posting this thread. What does it mean? Nothing except Clickbaiting as dojibear said?
    If that is your interpretation, then you may consider every book title to be "clickbaiting" :) One needs some title to know whether a piece might be interesting, so I don't consider titles as clickbaiting but as something more helpful. It's only clickbaiting if it is deliberately misleading and gets you to read something you are not interested in, with their hope you buy something or click on a link that makes them money on click-throughs.

Cross-clicked...

< Previous | Next >