a little bit of wee fun

Agito a42

Source: Evil Dead 3 - Army of Darkness (1992), an American Movie.

Ash was dragged into the past, 1300 A.D., to be precise.
Knight: To the pit! Chain him! Ah, you're gonna have a little bit of wee fun, mate.

I wonder if the word wee is used properly here? "Small fun" doesn't sound right to me. Or am I wrong?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, it seems misplaced. 'A little bit' is of course ironic, but perfectly correct in that place, and so would be 'a wee bit'.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It sounds okay to me.

It just intensifies the meaning of little, "a tiny little bit of fun", if you like, adding to the irony. :)

Uncle Jack

British English
    It isn't a reference to urination, by any chance? To my mind this is the obvious meaning, placed where it is and with "a little bit" making "wee" (small) seem redundant.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The original version does not sound okay to me. "Wee" does not collocate with "fun", probably because "fun" is a mass noun. "Wee" works well with count nouns, such as "bit". Don't put anything between "of" and "fun".
    Once you have the structure "a ____ bit of fun", and a choice of three adjectives "tiny", "wee", and "little" to put in the blank, then any one of the three will work fine.
    If you want to amplify this and use two of them, then of the six possible combinations, I'd say only "tiny little" and "tiny wee" sound good, while the others sound off.
    None of the six possible combinations of all three sound good either.

Agito a42

It isn't a reference to urination, by any chance?
    I doubt that. They throw their prisoners into a pit with some kind of monster at the bottom of it. So it's probably a mistake, or Sam Raimi (the writer and director) just tried to make the line sound funny, as it was said by one of the King Arthur's knights.

Regardless, thank you, everyone.

Last edited:

Agito a42

Did the knight speak with a Scottish accent?

It sounds marginally better to me if I speak the line in (an approximation of) a Glasgow accent.
    Not that I distinguish well between SE and BE accents (there's way too many of them), but if I had to commit myself, the answer would be "yes"; however, I wouldn't call it strong, an approximation, at best.

< Previous | Next >