A little bit

nguyen dung

Vietnamese
In Webside "Elllo" level A1 lesson 1.07 "Languages" there are sentences:
Abidemi: I know what you mean. It would make it easier to learn the language.
Todd: But in Russian, you can't do that.
Abidemi: That's true.
Todd: It's completely different.
Abidemi: That's true, but they have alphabets that are the same. You just have to decode them.
Todd: A little bit, yeah. We have the phrase, it's all Greek to me, which means you have no idea. Anyway, thanks a lot, Abidemi.
They say if a languages has the same alphabet then it is easier to learn.But I do not understand the meaning of bold sentence?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "A little bit" seems to mean that the alphabets are only slightly similar. He's contradicting Abidemi, who said that they are the same.

What is the subject of their discussion?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    So which language pair are they talking about? There seems to be confusion over how similar their alphabets are.

I'm confused, anyhow.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I found the dialogue here:

ELLLO Beginner #07 Languages, Nationalies and Countries

Abidemi: That's true, but they have alphabets that are the same. You just have to decode them.

They were talking about English and Russian, so it doesn't seem to make sense. The alphabets aren't "the same". That's why Todd says "they are a little bit the same" (i.e. they have some letters in common, and others which are somewhat similar. They certainly aren't totally different writing systems.) The Russian Cyrillic alphabet is very similar to the Greek, hence the joking reference "it's all Greek to me".

< Previous | Next >