a little girl’s bob

Daffodil100

Chinese
Her blonde hair was cut in a little girl’s bob and she had never kissed a boy.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1301003/Special-investigation-How-predatory-gangs-force-middle-class-girls-sex-trade.html#ixzz0vtimmpFf

I got the image about bob haircut from Google's pictures.

http://www.google.com.hk/images?um=1&hl=zh-CN&newwindow=1&safe=strict&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=bob+haircut&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

If there's any difference if I just say "in a bob" while removing a little girl in this sentence?

• owlman5

English-US
    You won't change it much if at all by deleting "little girl's": Her blond hair was cut in a bob and she had never kissed a boy. As far as I know, there is no difference between "a little girl's bob" and "a woman's bob". The writer probably mentioned "little girl's bob" just because that is a popular age for girls to get such haircuts.

Daffodil100

Chinese
    You won't change it much if at all by deleting "little girl's": Her blond hair was cut in a bob and she had never kissed a boy. As far as I know, there is no difference between "a little girl's bob" and "a woman's bob". The writer probably mentioned "little girl's bob" just because that is a popular age for girls to get such haircuts.
    Thank you very much for your help. I see!

NealMc

UK English
    Hi
    A bob can be a sophisticated and sexy haircut but a sophisticated, sexy bob is generally worn longer and without a fringe.
    The use of "little girl's" particularly with "never kissed a boy" give a strong implication of innocence and / or naivete. The phrasing implies someone who acts younger than her age or who is late reaching emotional maturity.
    In the context of the article, it reinforces the fact that although some girls may be discovering their sexuality at the age of 13 / 14, this girl in question was playing with dolls and pets.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

< Previous | Next >