a little ho, hum, kitchen sink

< Previous | Next >

tartarenza

Italian
Hi,
I came across this sentence in an American tv series:
"Confession, I always thought Weber was a little ho, hum, kitchen sink."
Context: Brooke Weber wants to change her last name after discovering her original family name was Von Weber.
Is Weber an actual brand of kitchen sinks or it's just a way to say that the name Weber sounds "cheap"
Thanks in advance

• Myridon

English - US
    Better punctuation: ... a little ho-hum - kitchen sink. (kitchen sink is another way of saying ho-hum).
    Kitchen sinks are boring and ordinary. Everybody has one.

Packard

USA, English
    I confess that I've not come across people using "kitchen sink" as being "ordinary".

I am familiar only with "everything but the kitchen sink".

I did find a Wiki entry for "kitchen sink drama"

Kitchen sink realism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kitchen sink realism (or kitchen sink drama) is a term coined to describe a British cultural movement that developed in the late 1950s and early 1960s in theatre, art, novels, film and television plays, whose protagonists usually could be described as "angry young men" who were disillusioned with modern society [...] The harsh, realistic style contrasted sharply with the escapism of the previous generation's so-called "well-made plays".[...]

I don't think "kitchen sink" as meaning "ordinary" is widely used in the USA. I think this is more a BE sort of phrase.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Yes, kitchen sink realism/drama was revolutionary in its day, it hugely offended the traditionalists. Mainly Northern, rooted in domestic working class mores. Kitchens did feature.

< Previous | Next >