"A little hot java for two and two lumberjack specials."

< Previous | Next >

Arzhela

French
Hi everybody,
Could someone explain to me what this order mean please ? This is a client's order adressing to a waitress in a pub ! "hot java" seems to be "hot coffee" (?)... but I'm not sure and I don't understand what is "lumberjack" here ...
Thanks for your help !

• Sallyb36

British UK
    hot java is coffee, and a lumberjack is a person who works cutting down trees, so would require something filling to eat due to very physical work. A lumberjack special would be a special set meal that was very substantial and filling I would imagine.

Arzhela

French
    Sallyb36 said:
    hot java is coffee, and a lumberjack is a person who works cutting down trees, so would require something filling to eat due to very physical work. A lumberjack special would be a special set meal that was very substantial and filling I would imagine.
    Thank you Sally !

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi Arzhela,

Is this set in the US? In that case, it would probably be a roadside diner or a coffee shop, rather than a pub. Such places offer set meals with clever names. A "lumberjack special" would be a substantial American-style breakfast and would probably include something like "two eggs any style with choice of bacon, grilled ham or breakfast sausages; short stack of pancakes (that usually means 3 large pancakes), toast with butter and jelly". Oh dear... I miss American breakfasts!

Arzhela

French
    Hi Arzhela,

Is this set in the US? In that case, it would probably be a roadside diner or a coffee shop, rather than a pub. Such places offer set meals with clever names. A "lumberjack special" would be a substantial American-style breakfast and would probably include something like "two eggs any style with choice of bacon, grilled ham or breakfast sausages; short stack of pancakes (that usually means 3 large pancakes), toast with butter and jelly". Oh dear... I miss American breakfasts!
    :):) You're right, this is a US coffee shop which offers such breakfasts ! :)

MissFit

Hi Arzhela,

That just sounds like an average special--we Americans love to over-eat. A lumberjack special would probably be three eggs, choice of two meats, some form of fried potatoes, a tall stack of pancakes (6 large ones), and Texas (extra thick) toast with jelly. Now that might keep a two-hundred pound fella who's all muscles from being hungry until lunch time. (All of a sudden, I'm hungry!)

< Previous | Next >