a little more coasting among professionals

Hese

German
Hello there,

I've just read a text about business and there is a sentence in there that I don't understand. Here is the context:

Support staff's not up to the same standards, not paid as well, either. And there's a little more coasting among professional staff here. Culling out the bottom 20% of performers every year sure keeps people on their toes!

I don't understand the part with 'coasting'. What does that mean here?

Thank you so much for your kind help

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I've just read a text about business and there is a sentence in there that I don't understand. Here is the context:

Support staff's not up to the same standards, not paid as well, either. And there's a little more coasting among professional staff here. Culling out the bottom 20% of performers every year sure keeps people on their toes!

I don't understand the part with 'coasting'. What does that mean here?
    Teddy cited the WR dictionary, and that will be helpful, but only up to a point. The word's being used metaphorically here, not literally, although it's based on the literal meaning of ceasing to pedal (a bicycle) and letting the momentum of your prior effort carry you along; or riding any vehicle (bicycle, sled, car) downhill without applying any power.

The description of the professional staff as coasting means that they're relying on the momentum generated by past work and/or by lack of resistance and are not putting forth any current effort. They are, in a word, lazy.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >