a little more slowly

Sidjanga

German;southern tendencies
How would you say

Could you speak (a little) more slowly, please?

I suppose I could simply say

هل يمكنك أن تتكلّم(ـي) ببطء, من فضلك؟

in order to ask them to do me that favour, but there's obviously no equivalent whatsoever of "more" or "a little" in that sentence.
How can I best include those?
:.

• nado92

arabic
    In Egyptian,we say شوية shewia means a little.
    هل يمكنك أن تتكلّم ببطء قليلا, من فضلك؟

شوية =قليلا a little

Sidjanga

Thanks.

And is there an idiomatic way of expressing the concept of "more" in this sentence?

I know that شوية \ قليلا mean "a little"- I just don't know how to combine "a little" and "more" here and include them in the rest of the sentence - or whether this is reasonably possible at all and would result in an idiomatic Arabic sentece, or if you simply wouldn't say anything equivalent to "more [slowly]" here.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I would rather say: أيمكنك أن تتكلم أبطأ قليلا

By the way, shouldn't the English expression be "can you speak a little slower please"?

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish

By the way, shouldn't the English expression be "can you speak a little slower please"?
    You can also say "can you speak a little more slowly". "More slowly" and "slower" here mean the same thing, so I like your suggestion of أبطأ قليلا.

Thanks.

And is there an idiomatic way of expressing the concept of "more" in this sentence?
    Yep. By using the comparative form.

Sidjanga

Yep. By using the comparative form.
    Well, yes... - but that's just the point. :)

As far as I understand, ببطء - the part that expresses "slowly" in the original sentence - is a preposition (بـ) + a noun (بطء).
    And at least so far, I've never heard of a "comparative form" for such a combination; only for adjectives - and in form of مصادر in combination with أكثر, modifying nouns and "acting as though they were an adjective in the comparative form", like for example in الرحلة الأكثر تشويقاً .

So what would the/a comparative form of ببطء be in this sentence?:

هل يمكنك أن تتكلّم ببطء قليلا, من فضلك؟
    So is بطء (?) also an adjective and is here used in the comparative form with an adverbial ending (أبطأ), or can nouns actually be used in some sort of a "comparative form", too?
    (but is أبطأ an adverb at all? - although I believe we would need an adverb to modify the verb تتكلم, or wouldn't we?)

As for slow/slowly: there have been a few threads about this on EO:
    slower/slowlier; go slower or go more slowly; slowlier or more slowly?

Last edited:

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Well, yes... - but that's just the point. :)

As far as I understand, ببطء - the part that expresses "slowly" in the original sentence - is a preposition (بـ) + a noun (بطء).
    Yes, this is one way to render an adverbial in Arabic. The other way is to use the manSuub suffix -an (I think this is a case of الحال but I'm not sure). For example, "you speak slowly" can be rendered:

أنت تتكلّم ببطء
    or
    أنت تتكلّم بطيئًا
    So what would the/a comparative form of ببطء be in this sentence?:
    So is بطء (?) also an adjective and is here used in the comparative form with an adverbial ending (أبطأ)
    There is no "comparative" form for a construction like ببطء but for بطيء we can easily make أبطأ. Since we can say: أنت تتكلّم بطيئا, likewise we can say أنت تتكلّم أبطأ. Note that أبطأ doesn't take ـًا because the comparative forms أفعل are ممنوعة من الصرف ("diptotes" in English).

Please keep in mind that Arabic doesn't really have a class of words which are obviously "adverbs" so adverbial constructions can often be made in more than one way.

Sidjanga

Many thanks, Clevermizo.
    Please keep in mind that Arabic doesn't really have a class of words which are obviously "adverbs" so adverbial constructions can often be made in more than one way.
    Yes, I am basically aware of this. I just didn't think I would have to "resort" to the adjectival version here, for an adverbial construction I would be able to form a viable comparative form with - nor did I even take that possibility into consideration, as I had got to know "[to talk] slowly" as "ببطء".
    (And if I actually ever knew that the comparative forms can't take اًَ, I must have forgotten it...).

I thought you could maybe say something like "بأكثر بطء" or something.

In any case, thanks again. :)

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    I thought you could maybe say something like "بأكثر بطء" or something.

In any case, thanks again. :)
    That might be possible but I think تتكلم أبطأ قليلا is maybe a little more natural. It's definitely the sort of structure I'd use in colloquial anyway.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Mizo is right. أبطأ قليلاً or أسرع قليلاً (a little faster) is the way to form this structure in Arabic.
    You don't need to use the preposition ب here, it is understood that you're forming an adverbe.
    As far as I know بأكثر بطء is not correct. But you can say ببطء أكثر bibuT2in akthara.

Sidjanga

Thanks, Cherine.
    But you can say ببطء أكثر bibuT2in akthara.
    And does ببطء أكثر sound natural when used in such a context / is it basically interchangeable with أبطأ ?

I.e., do the following two sentences both sound idiomatic and natural, and express the same thing?

هل يمكنك أن تتكلّم أبطأ قليلاً, من فضلك؟
    هل يمكنك أن تتكلّم ببطء أكثر قليلا, من فضلك؟

(Is it possible at all to use قليلا like this in the second sentence?)

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I think that:
    أبطأ قليلاً = a bit slower
    ببطء أكثر قليلاً = a little more slowly (when you've asked him to speak slowly, but it's still fast for you, so you ask him to go even slower).

They do sound idiomatic, although for the second one, I'd drop the قليلاً .

aurelien.demarest

French
    Hi guys,

first of all hope my question will be part of this topic... :oops:
    Analogously to what Cherine said would it be correct to say
    بسرعة أكثر
    ?

هل يمكنك أن تتكلّم بسرعة أكثر من فضلك؟

Aurélien

< Previous | Next >