A little rough around the edges is all [person]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by minhduc, Oct 13, 2010.

1. minhduc Senior Member

Hanoi, Vietnam
    vietnamese
    Hello there

I have a context from Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick:

I narrowed my eyes. “I don’t have red hair.”
    He was full-on grinning. “Could be worse. Could be orange. Wicked-witch orange.”
    “Are you this big of a jerk to everyone? Because this is why you don’t have friends.”
    A little rough around the edges is all.”

What does the whole bold sentence mean?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you're round around the edges, you're not smooth and polished. You lack couth and manners. If you have rough edges, you hurt people you come in contact with -- as opposed to me, for instance. My edges have been worn smooth as a river stone, so I'm eminently touchable. :)

3. minhduc Senior Member

Hanoi, Vietnam
    vietnamese
    Would you rephrase the answer of the boy above in another way for me to understand? What does he mean when he answer the girl? Thanks

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    “Are you this big of a jerk to everyone? Because this is why you don’t have friends.”
    A little rough around the edges is all.”

I'm just a little ill-mannered (even cheeky) -- nothing serious.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    It's an expression meaning that he is not smooth and sophisticated, that he lacks social "polish" and is inclined to just speak out and say what he's thinking.

6. Saluton Banned

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Is it colloquial? :)

7. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
  8. Hermione Golightly Senior Member

London
    British English
    Yes my rough edges have all been smoothed to a glimmering spherical sheen after being tossed around in the stormy oceans of life. I am so couth, hevelled, and kempt not to mention my boundless ruth, I can hardly believe it myself.:D

The 'is all' is a casual colloquial way of saying, "that's all". The boy is teasing the girl about the colour of her hair, which we have to suppose is what's called 'red', a natural redhead, which perhaps you have never seen. A pale reddish colour is fairly common. It is sometimes known as ginger hair. You can perhaps google (natural red hair) if you aren't sure.

People don't like to be teased about any aspect of their appearance and it's especially tough for young people and for girls being teased by boys. So she is annoyed, even if she knows that boys often tease girls they really like a lot. He then makes it worse by calling it 'orange' which is not a word we use for hair colour unless it has been deliberately dyed orange.

:)

Hermione