a little trouble over at our White House but that'll blow over, so to speak

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Mulder is being caught by a crew team on a British ship in 1939. They think he's a German spy but Mulder tries to tell them they have gotten in a time warp, and now they are in 1998.
Captain: I'm done fooling about, man. There's a war on. And in it or no, I don't plan to lose me mind nor me ship to the likes of a jackal like you.:
Mulder: You can relax. There's no war going on. The world is at peace. There's a little trouble over at our White House but that'll blow over, so to speak.
The X-Files, episode Triangle

Is the bold part a reference to the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal, and "blow over" implies (a play on word) the oral sex?
Thanks.

• Loob

English UK
    I think you're probably right, Vic, that "a little trouble over at our White House" refers to the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal.

I don't see "blow over" as necessarily having a meaning relating to oral sex: it could just mean that the scandal will dissipate in time.

But the "so to speak" may well point to a play on words....

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Perhaps yu could give us the date of the source? There's always 'a little trouble in the White House'.
    Except that it's 1998 (when the Lewinsky thing happened), I can't tell a more exact date:)
    I don't see "blow over" as necessarily having a meaning relating to oral sex: it could just mean that the scandal will dissipate in time.

But the "so to speak" may well point to a play on words...
    Yes, "so to speak" to me sounds like "blow over" implies "blow job"?... Or I just read too much into it:D

< Previous | Next >