a loaf of farmhouse bread nestled within an embroidered c

< Previous | Next >

waiyin

Chinese
Hello,

I am not sure of the meaning of the sentence "a loaf of farmhouse bread nestled within an embroidered cloth". And the relationship with incense? Can anyone explain this image to me?

Many thanks!

<Art pops up in rather unusual locations in South Tyrol these days. Not just in renowned museums like the Bolzano Museion with its contemporary and modern works, but also in the great outdoors. The Merano Group, for instance, an association of seven artists, displays its latest works on mountain peaks surrounding the spa town. Inside Plexiglass containers anchored at mind-numbing heights are exhibits on the theme of “God” — a loaf of farmhouse bread nestled within an embroidered cloth, or incense, meant to be lit every day by the first person to reach the nearly 3000 meter (10,000-ft.) summit of the Cigot. . “Incense is a ritual common to many different religions,” says youthful artist Hannes Egger>

• Myridon

English - US
    My reading is:
    "Inside containers ... are exhibits - example of an exhibit, or incense ..."
    The clear boxes contain (exhibits such as the bread) or (incense to be lit).

waiyin

Chinese
    Thank you Myridon. The incense part is clearer to me now.

But how do you interpret the sentence of:
    a loaf of farmhouse bread nestled within an embroidered cloth

is it literally meaning a loaf of bread out in an embroidered cloth? I am afraid there's a figurative meaning that I didn't capture...

Myridon

English - US
    Well, it's an art exhibit on the theme of God so I'm guessing it's related to Christian communion or Christ as the bread of life or the loaves and fishes or ... Perhaps the pattern or words of the embroidery would give the viewer a better clue than we have here.

WyomingSue

English--USA
    Artists make some strange things sometimes. A lot of three-dimensional art is the real thing these days, not just clay or marble.
    Probably it is an actual loaf of bread, sitting in (nestled in) an embroidered cloth. This would be symbolic of God because in Christianity one of the central acts of worship is to take "communion," which is bread (and wine), which are symbolic of (or actually, depending on your Christian tradition) the presence of God.

< Previous | Next >