a long platform which ran almost the whole length...

< Previous | Next >

Jardino

Korean
Topice sentence
The catwalk was a long platform which ran almost the whole length of the building, fifty feet above their heads.

What does "ran" mean here? ... I don't get it.

• Jardino

Korean
    Oh I found something which can explain this! run_1 verb - Definition, pictures, pronunciation and usage notes | Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com Here no.16
    lead/stretch
    • [intransitive, transitive] to lead or stretch from one place to another; to make something do this

So, The catwalk was a long platform which ran almost the whole length of the building, fifty feet above their heads.
    =>The catwalk was a long platform which stretch almost from the bottom of the building to the top of the building , fifty feet above their heads.

Did i understand this correctly?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    So, The catwalk was a long platform which ran almost the whole length of the building, fifty feet above their heads.
    =>The catwalk was a long platform which stretch almost from the bottom of the building to the top of the building , fifty feet above their heads.

Did i I understand this correctly?
    No -- that would be "almost the whole height of the building."

The length of the building = From one end of the building to the other

Jardino

Korean
    No -- that would be "almost the whole height of the building."

The length of the building = From one end of the building to the other
    Oh, yeah. Thank you! You mean "either side" right? Now I totally understood!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It's on the long side of rectangular building attached to the wall. You climb up to it and walk along it looking down to the floor from it, like a platform. Common in factories so the managers could see what work was going on on the factory floor.
    I can't copy a photo for you but search images for 'a catwalk inside a building'.

Jardino

Korean
    It's on the long side of rectangular building attached to the wall. You climb up to it and walk along it looking down to the floor from it, like a platform. Common in factories so the managers could see what work was going on on the factory floor.
    I can't copy a photo for you but search images for 'a catwalk inside a building'.
    Hello Hermione. Here's what I understood. Imgur
    Am I right?

< Previous | Next >