a long time to be redlining as a species

< Previous | Next >

BénéQC

france french
Hey!

I'd like the following sentence to be explained, please!
(About climate change, and the pandemic...)
"And we have been existing on this precipice, collectively speaking for, like, five years—a long time to be redlining as a species."
Suffisamment longtemps pour être une espèce en voie d'extinction? Pour être rayés de la surface de la Terre? Not sure :\
Merci pour votre aide!

• mehoul

french
    Je pense que le sens est que nous avons survécu cinq ans au bord du précipice, ce qui est en quelque sorte miraculeux (l'auteur se serait attendu à ce que nous y tombions).

misterk

English-American
    From the Wikipedia article on redlining: (In the US,) "redlining"... describe(s) the discriminatory practice of fencing off areas where banks would avoid investments based on community demographics. (Wikipedia article in French, here.)
    This is most often used to the detriment of the Black population. It is a way to keep groups separate, to avoid intermingling, by denying services/benefits/opportunities to one of the groups.

ColorlessGreenIdea

English
    From the Wikipedia article on redlining: (In the US,) "redlining"... describe(s) the discriminatory practice of fencing off areas where banks would avoid investments based on community demographics. (Wikipedia article in French, here.)
    This is most often used to the detriment of the Black population. It is a way to keep groups separate, to avoid intermingling, by denying services/benefits/opportunities to one of the groups.
    Je ne suis pas d'accord, ici "red line" a un sens different, il refère plûtot à la ligne rouge qui se trouve au compteur de vitesse dans une voiture et qui indique que le conducteur conduit à une vitesse dangereuse. L'auteur veut dire que cinq ans, c'est une periode bien longue pour exister dans un état périlleux.

BénéQC

france french
    Merci! Ça m'aide beaucoup! Je propose: ... ce qui est suffisamment long pour mettre une espèce en voie d'extinction.

misterk

English-American
    It seems to me that both explanations are credible.

Here is the original source text:
    “This was one of the last songs that I wrote for the record, but it wasn't pandemic-related, necessarily. It was about how difficult the world already was—in January. All the conditions that, in my mind, required a song like 'Ascension' existed back then; we were already on the brink. And we have been existing on this precipice, collectively speaking, for, like, five years—a long time to be redlining as a species. You need a rallying cry from time to time, and I was trying to make this about two generations talking to each other, and ultimately realizing that you can't just cut yourselves off from one another. You have to lean on each other more than we do.”​

So he seems to be talking about both living on the brink of something dangerous, and people cutting themselves off from one another. Hard to know which he meant.

< Previous | Next >