a long way away

CallmeSara

Kazakh
Hello!
What is the meaning of "a long way away" in the next sentence: "Meeting someone was not a long way away". I can deduce its meaning, but I want to know the exact answer. Thanks in advance!

• CallmeSara

Kazakh
    Please give the source and some background to the example, and then tell us your deduction. :thumbsup:
    It's taken from the Studnet's book of "Full Blast" (H. Q. Mitchel, Marileni Malkogianni). Here some more text to show it's context: "So, she packed her bags, grabbed her friend Pauline and headed for Spain. Jane and Pauline then rented a flat and got a job at an English language school. Meeting someone was not a long way away. Jane married Pablo..."
    I googled it, there wasn't any answer. And it got me wondering is it used frequently, if so in what cases, what's its meaning.
    It sounded to me like "It happened soon" or "it doesn't have to make her wait a long time".

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    :thumbsup: Many thanks.
    Meeting someone was not a long way away.
    :warning: This only fits into this particular context. It will not work in others.

The phrase "and headed for Spain" gives the idea of travelling "a long way" - this idea is then continued in "Meeting someone was not a long way away" to mean "Meeting someone was not a long way into the future." --> It did not take a long time.

CallmeSara

Kazakh
    :thumbsup: Many thanks.

:warning: This only fits into this particular context. It will not work in others.

The phrase "and headed for Spain" gives the idea of travelling "a long way" - this idea is then continued in "Meeting someone was not a long way away" to mean "Meeting someone was not a long way into the future." --> It did not take a long time.
    It is now perfectly clear. Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >