a long wooden stick/staff

arueng

CHINESE
Hi,

Here in Taiwan, we use long wooden sticks/staffs or long bamboos to build a trellis for our climbing vegetables.
I wonder if I use the right term long wooden sticks/staffs. If not, what should I name it? Thanks.

• arueng

CHINESE
    Hi! Normally I would talk of "wooden sticks" in this case not staffs.
    Thanks, merquiades.

Can you tell the reason why it's not wooden staffs in this case? Aren't sticks synonymous with staffs? By the way, is it also right to just call it long sticks?

Last edited:

Matching Mole

England, English
    We use bamboo sticks in the UK for similar purposes. We call them canes, usually. Rod is also a good word for such a stick, including very long thin lengths of wood. Staff is usually reserved for a tall walking stick (as used by wizards!) and for ceremonial rods carried in the hand.

arueng

CHINESE
    We use bamboo sticks in the UK for similar purposes. We call them canes, usually. Rod is also a good word for such a stick, including very long thin lengths of wood. Staff is usually reserved for a tall walking stick (as used by wizards!) and for ceremonial rods carried in the hand.
    Thanks, Matching Mole, for the clear explanation.
    I think I get it now.

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    Thanks, merquiades.

Can you tell the reason why it's not wooden staffs in this case? Aren't sticks synonymous with staffs? By the way, is it also right to just call it long sticks?
    As Matching Mole explained so well, staffs I associate with walking. Yes, long sticks, long wooden sticks, wooden sticks all seem ok for me. I also like the idea of wooden poles. Rods for me aren't wooden though.

< Previous | Next >