A loop pigeon?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
This morning I was reading an account of the dress rehearsal of Prokofiev's A Love of Three Oranges, in Chicago in 1921, and came across this:

Singers attired as singers were never attired before crawl on, bounce on, tumble on. And M. Coini, as undisturbed as a traffic cop or a loop pigeon, commands his stage. He tells the singers where to stand while they sing, and when they don't sing to suit him he sings himself.

Clearly a loop pigeon is something as still as a traffic cop, but I know nothing more about them. I wondered if they were decoys, but does anyone know what they are?

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I wonder if this isn't simply a reference to pigeons living in the Loop, Chicago's downtown area. Perhaps the downtown pigeons were particularly complacent or territorial and didn't move when people came by?

sdgraham

USA English
    A further note: Chicago's Loop ("Loop" is most decidedly a proper noun in this context, regardless of clueless editors) is traditionally the area within the circle of elevated public transit railway tracks called the "L" (for "elevated). It's the center of the downtown, i.e. business and shopping, area.

These elevated tracks and the supporting structure provide prime roosting habitat for pigeons (also called "rock doves"), which abound in the area.

(signed) born and raised there.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The Loop neighborhood of Chicago is the only place I have ever seen a pigeon run over by a bus because the pigeon would not move promptly, so I can confirm from direct personal observation that Loop pigeons seem more, er, unflappable than most other birds.

< Previous | Next >