A lot of people love both to play and to watch team sports like basketball or football.

brian&me

Chinese - China
A lot of people love both to play and to watch team sports like basketball or football.

I wonder if I could use ‘and’ to replace ‘or’ in this sentence.

Thank.

• India - Hindi
    You must replace "or" with "and" because you say "sports", which is plural. The omission of the article before "team" also makes it clear that "sports" has been used as a plural.

:warning:1. I think you don't need the second "to" -- it's optional at best.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You must replace "or" with "and" because you say "sports", which is plural.
    I don't think I agree with that, Emp.

A lot of people love... team sports like basketball or (like) football.
    A lot of people love... team sports like basketball and football.

I've never thought about it before, but they both look good to me.

India - Hindi
    Hmm, thanks a lot, Veli.
    A lot of people love to play a team sport(s) like basketball or (like) football.

No?
    Did you read my comment about the omission of the article, in my post above?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't see why it should be any different when it's "sports" rather than "a sport", but I may well be being dense this morning. Let's see what others say. :)

India - Hindi
    Sorry, I still think that "sports like" (where "sports" is plural ) could be followed by "x and y" (both singular), or a plural x or a plural y, or a plural x and a plural y, but it cannot be followed by "a singular x or a singular y".
    Thanks.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yes, thanks Franco. It isn't an either/or situation.

I like juicy fruits like oranges, (or) peaches, (or) apricots, (or) melons, or pineapples.

I think "or" in this case can be used just as well as "and", but in my sentence if I used "and" perhaps I would sound a bit greedy.

(Edited for typo)

Last edited:
    India - Hindi
    I've thought it over and find "people like me/Tom" fine (though don't really like "animals like a dog or a rabbit", but that's probably my non-nativity) -- I think you native speakers are right, as always. Yet another great lesson for me.:idea: That's the benefit of being taught by great members like Velisarius or/and Franco-filly.

Sorry and thanks a million, Velisarius.
    Thanks a ton, Ff too.

Last edited: