a lot of < trouble/ troubles>

younghon

Korean - Korea
Hello,
Which one is correct between a lot of trouble and a lot of troubles in formal English? I see both of them in Korean English Dictionary like below examples.

Examples
My mother has been through a lot of troubles.
There have been a lot of teething troubles with the new computer system.
There are a lot of difficulties[troubles; problems] (in) pressing ahead with the new business.
He have a lot of trouble with driving in Seoul.
I have a lot of trouble with my english pronunciation.
We’re having a lot of trouble with the car.

Thanks in advance

There is no difference. The plural emphasizes variety, while the singular, uniformity.

Compare:

There has been a lot of sickness in my life; there have been a lot of sicknesses in my life.

The former is consistent with one long, perhaps recurring, sickness, say, diabetes; the latter suggests variety. However, in the latter case of variety, the first also applies.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Which one is correct between a lot of trouble and a lot of troubles in formal English?
    The difference between "a lot of trouble" and "a lot of troubles" is the same in all registers of English. Formality has nothing to do with it.

If you think of "trouble" as one long series of problems, you can use the singular word "trouble." If you think of "troubles" as many different problems, you can use "troubles".

Cross-posted with Benny.

Last edited: