we must do lots of ......etc

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    :arrow:write the correct form:

we must do a lot of homework at this school

is the mistake in ( a lot)

can we say

we must do lots of ......etc
    I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to be picky here, but I really don't understand your question (thanks for your understanding, by the way:))

We must do a lot of/lots of homework at school/in this school sounds good to me.

Matching Mole

England, English
    No, "a lot" here is fine, however, "We have to do a lot of homework" is probably what you mean. "Must" in this sentence, tends to suggests the usage of must as in "it must be the case", and I think you mean "we are obliged to do" a lot of homework.

"Lots of" is also fine. "We have to do lots of homework".

Compare this sentence:

"They must have to do a lot of homework at this school"
    It must be the case that they are obliged to do a lot of homework at this school (for example, because it has a reputation for high academic standards).

JamesM

I don't actually see a problem with "We must do a lot of homework at this school." It has two interpretations, to me.

First, it could mean "We are required to do a lot of homework at this school", which is something an older student might say to a new student.

Second, it could mean "Apparently we do a lot of homework at this school." It's a little odd, but I can imagine contexts where it would work.

Perhaps they were looking for:

"We do a lot of homework at this school."

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, moonbeam. The sentence doesn't have a problem, in my opinion.

EastMidlandsMan

England / English
    Both are correct. Subtle differences in meaning though:

The former would be said comparatively e.g. we must do a lot of homework at this school because we spend more time on it than at our previous school.

The latter would be said imperatively e.g. we must do lots of home work at this school if we are to learn enough to pass our examinations.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    No, "a lot" here is fine, however, "We have to do a lot of homework" is probably what you mean. "Must" in this sentence, tends to suggests the usage of must as in "it must be the case", and I think you mean "we are obliged to do" a lot of homework.

"Lot's of" is also fine. "We have to do lots of homework".
    I don't often disagree with you Mole, but I'm not with you on We must, as opposed to We have to. I think you might say must if you meant that to keep up we must do lots of homework, while we have to suggests more to me that the school authorities make one do it: I'm not suggesting that the words have these exclusive meanings, but that I think We must is perfectly correct in some circumstances.

Matching Mole

England, English
    I'm afraid I can't get it to sound natural, it sounds an unlikely statement to me, as a whole, and continues to bend my mind to "it must be the case". However, I can imagine "We must do a lot of homework" as in "We must get a lot of homework done" (it's imperative that... on this occasion, tonight, etc.) but the "at this school" part does not sit well with it for me.

I should have stuck to just saying that "a lot of" and "lots of" were correct!

< Previous | Next >