a lot to do with <the> grace and gifts that were naturally given

< Previous | Next >

RajuMV

Malayalam
Friends, here is a sentence from the book A Turn in the South by V S Naipaul:
I thought I was something special in the world-I think it had a lot to do with grace and gifts that were naturally given, God-given, to me.
Why article 'the' is not necessary before grace and gifts in the sentence, though grace and gifts are definite as they were the ones naturally given.
Please explain.
Thanks a lot in anticipation:)

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    "The" here is optional. Although it's perfectly okay to use "the", because the reference is specific, there is no obligation to do so.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Does it mean in every case where a reference is specific, 'the' is optional?
    Oh, no! Never jump to such dangerous conclusions on the basis of just one example. "The" is usually necessary where there is a specific reference, but there are some exceptions, and the sentence in question seems to be one of them.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think "grace" here is the grace received from God, so in that sentence "the grace" would be wrong.

...it had a lot to do with grace - I think it refers to an abstract concept, like "virtue" or "goodness". As used here, it isn't specific. With "gifts", I think the article is optional. I suspect that "that were naturally given to me" refers only to "gifts" and not to "grace" as well.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Does it mean in every case where a reference is specific, 'the' is optional?
    As @Englishmypassion says, no. It really depends what you're talking about. when you are talking about things in a fairly general way, the fact that you can make a general reference specific does not mean that you must do so. But if the context means that the things are very concrete and specific, then "the" becomes compulsory.

I like (the) apples from the big tree in my orchard
    I picked up (the) apples which had fallen from the big tree
    I picked up the apples which were on the table

Here "the" is optional in the first two sentences but compulsory in the third.

< Previous | Next >