a low mileage

< Previous | Next >

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
Hi,

'I'm looking for a car with a low mileage'
-can it mean that a car has not been often driven or a car doesn't consume much petrol?

• Chez

English English
    Here it means that the car has not been driven for many miles.

You would look for a car with 'low petrol consumption' if it didn't consume much petrol.

lingobingo

English - England
    Agreed. It means a car that has a low mileage recorded on its milometer/odometer. (But unfortunately, the readings on these devices can be fraudulently altered!:eek:)

The Newt

English - US
    "Mileage" can sometimes refer informally to the rate of gas / petrol consumption (MPG), but you would say "good mileage," not "low mileage" (which would be a bad thing). Here it clearly means "with not many miles on the odometer."

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
    "Mileage" can sometimes refer informally to the rate of gas / petrol consumption (MPG), but you would say "good mileage," not "low mileage" (which would be a bad thing). Here it clearly means "with not many miles on the odometer."
    Thanks.
    What do you mean by 'a bad thing'?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Thanks.
    What do you mean by 'a bad thing'?
    That depends on whether you are in the US or Europe.

In the US, fuel consumption is generally measured in miles per gallon (distance per amount of fuel). One wants to be able to travel many miles while using few gallons. High numbers are good. Low numbers are, to the American who posted above, bad.

However, in Europe, fuel consumption is generally measured in liters per kilometer (amount of fuel per distance, the inverse of the US approach with a conversion factor). One wants to use as little fuel as possible to travel a given distance. Low numbers are good. High numbers are bad.

Since you are in Poland, you probably use the European approach. Low numbers are therefore, for you, good.

As regards the language question: I agree with previous posters that this normally means the total distance that the car has been driven since it was new.

semeeran

Indian Tamil, India
    "I' looking for a car with less used mileage."
    Does this sentence convey the above meaning?
    Please comment. Thanks.

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
    That depends on whether you are in the US or Europe.

In the US, fuel consumption is generally measured in miles per gallon (distance per amount of fuel). One wants to be able to travel many miles while using few gallons. High numbers are good. Low numbers are, to the American who posted above, bad.

However, in Europe, fuel consumption is generally measured in liters per kilometer (amount of fuel per distance, the inverse of the US approach with a conversion factor). One wants to use as little fuel as possible to travel a given distance. Low numbers are good. High numbers are bad.

Since you are in Poland, you probably use the European approach. Low numbers are therefore, for you, good.

As regards the language question: I agree with previous posters that this normally means the total distance that the car has been driven since it was new.
    Many thanks for your exhaustive answer!!!

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    "I'm looking for a car with less used mileage."
    Does this sentence convey the above meaning?
    Please comment. Thanks.
    I assume you omitted the m by accident. In any case, less used mileage doesn't make sense. Mileage isn't used; it's just an attribute of the car.

The Newt

English - US
    [...]

[...]
    Fascinating. You learn something new every day.

< Previous | Next >