a.m. last night

lokasseyve

Mandarin
Hi,
Sammy stayed up late until 1:30 a.m. last night.

I wrote this sentence.
Is it odd to use "last night" here? If I want to have it in my sentence, do I need to omit "a.m."?
They seem to contradict each other.

Thank you so much.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I would say "1:30 a.m." or "1:30 this morning."

I wouldn't quibble with something like "We stayed up late last night. It was 1:30 a.m. by the time we went to bed." But otherwise, a.m. hours are not, technically, "night."

lokasseyve

Mandarin
    Thank you.
    So, is this definitely wrong?
    A) Sammy stayed up late until 1:30 last night.

In Chinese, we usually use "last night" when we are talking about "stay up late" even though we know that it's actually "in the morning".

If the sentence A) above can't work, will this one below sound better?
    B) Last night, Sammy stayed up late until 1:30.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Some people may be fine with "1:30 last night." To me, it sounds odd.

"Sammy stayed up late until 1:30" is a bit redundant, and makes it sound as though, somehow, s/he repeatedly stayed up late during the night, and then at 1:30 finally stopped staying up late.

lokasseyve

Mandarin
    Is it the "late" that makes it redundant?

and makes it sound as though, somehow, s/he repeatedly stayed up late during the night, and then at 1:30 finally stopped staying up late.
    If I understand it correctly, you mean "a.m." or "this morning" is necessary here?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I don't think "a.m." or "this morning" are absolutely necessary; it's pretty clear from context that you don't mean 1:30 in the afternoon.

Yes, it's "late" that makes the sentence redundant.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    To me, in British English, the "a.m." and "late" are not needed in "Sammy stayed up late until 1:30 a.m. last night."

I would use, "Sammy stayed up until 1:30 last night". The use of last night emphasises the fact that it was last night that it happened and not any other night.

If, through context last night is already known because it is the subject of discussion you could just use:
    "Sammy stayed up until 1:30"

< Previous | Next >