A.m./P.m.

cosmonote312

French
Hello,

My question is: can you write "am" or "pm" without them being preceded by a number? Here's the context:

I'm responding to a job interview invite where I'm asked for time slots. I'm hesitating between:

Monday 14th December am
Wednesday 16th December am or pm

Or:

Monday 14th December (morning)
Wednesday 16th December (morning or afternoon)

Which on do you think would fit better?

Thanks a lot!

• Packard

USA, English
    I would write "morning", "afternoon", "evening" or "noon time", but not a.m. or p.m.

The conventions are changing but I was taught to use the periods when writing "a.m." or "p.m.".

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I would not hesitate to use am and pm as abbreviations for morning and afternoon in an informal communication, though it gets a bit tricky if I need to distinguish between afternoon and evening.
    I would probably only use these abbreviations if I had to use "morning" or "afternoon" more than once in the same short document.

As far as the dots are concerned, for me they are totally passé, even though I'm usually a dyed-in-the-wool traditionalist. 9a.m. just looks too spaced out, so 9am it is.
    If there is danger of confusion with the word "am", then I would of course include the dots.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, but only for informal communication or as a kind of code, I suppose. Where I am we have morning (9 to 11am), afternoon (1 to 3pm) and evening (5 to 7pm) exams. In our reporting sheet, we have to circle AM, PM or EVENING.

However, it looks as if you are writing it out in a standard format, as so I would recommend morning etc in your context.

(And you will notice that I don't use full stops normally or add any space after the number. When I went to school in the 1970s, I would have written 9 a.m. as opposed to 9am - what I do today.)

< Previous | Next >