a major step

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

Los Angeles and Chicago submitted detailed plans for the 2016 Summer Olympics to the U.S. Olympic Committee on Monday, a major step in the process to decide which city will bid for the games next year.

I don't feel this sentence gramatically correct, but I don't know how to correct it. Could you help me please?

Best wishes.

• pieanne

Belgium/French
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the sentence, apart from perhaps the punctuation.

The fact that LA & C submitted detailed plans was/is a major step in the process etc...

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I think the sentence is OK.
    What is worrying you about it?

I might have written it as two sentences:
    Los Angeles and Chicago submitted detailed plans for the 2016 Summer Olympics to the U.S. Olympic Committee on Monday. This is a major step in the process to decide which city will bid for the games next year.

Granny Grammar

English US
    Hi hly,

The two sentences that panjandrum suggests are the best way to communicate your idea.

In your original sentence, "major step" refers to "Monday."

With the proposed change, "major step" in the second sentence would refer to the entire idea presented in the first sentence.

JamesM

Hi hly,

The two sentences that panjandrum suggests are the best way to communicate your idea.

In your original sentence, "major step" refers to "Monday."
    I agree that Panjandrum's suggestion is very clear, but I disagree that "major step" refers to Monday in the original. Everything after "detailed plans" are all prepositional phrases. The sentence boils down to:

Los Angeles and Chicago submitted detailed plans, a major step in the process to decide which city will bid for the games next year.

"a major step" describes the act of submitting detailed plans.

< Previous | Next >