A man brings me out of my thoughts...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by spettatore, Aug 19, 2006.

1. spettatore New Member

Birmingham
    england Italian
    hola!
    como se dice
    'A man brings me out of my thoughts, he is stood infront of me, blocking my path'
    en español
    gracias

2. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Hi,

Are you sure that's the correct way of saying it in English? Well, anyway, it think it would be: "Un hombre me saca de mis casillas, está parado frente a mí, bloqueandome el paso".

Greetings,

Erasmo.

3. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    This sentence is not clear. Perhaps you mean:

A man brought me out of my thoughts. He stood in front of me blocking my path.

4. Apher Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    It seems to me that it is a man speaking at the psychiatrist´s, and tells what he sees in dreams or something like that:

'A man brings me out of my thoughts, he is stood infront of me, blocking my path'
    "Un hombre me impide pensar, está parado frente a mí, cerrándome el paso..."

But I am not sure about the meaning of "bring oneself out of their thoughts"

5. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    A possible context: I was walking along, deep in thought, perhaps with my head down. All of a sudden, a man stood in front of me, blocking my path. This brought me out of my thoughts. (Sort of like "caused me to wake up.")

Otros ejemplos de Google: "brought me out of my thoughts"

6. losher Senior Member

SF, USA
    American/British hybrid
    Both versions are correct, Edwin. It's common enough to use the present tense to describe past events, as a way of making the story more vivid.

I forget the exact Spanish phrase used for "brings me out of my thoughts" but I seem to recall a phrase in my Spanish version of Harry Potter using ensimismarse which would fit. Perhaps a native hispanohablante will know it...

Losher

7. vehl Senior Member

Toledo-Spain
    Spain-Spanish
    Podría traducirse por: "Un hombre me saca de mis cavilaciones, está parado frente a mí, cortándome el paso". O también por: "Un hombre me saca de mi ensimismamiento...".

Hope it helps!

Saludos,
    V.

8. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    You think "A man brings me out of my thoughts, he is stood infront of me, blocking my path" is correct?

The only way I could parse this is to imagine that a group of people stood him up in front of me. That is, they held him upright in front of me.

Maybe the following is what you mean?

A man brings me out of my thoughts. He stood in front of me blocking my path.

9. Apher Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    Yeees!! You are right, thank you both Edwin & Losher!! "Estar ensimismado" is the state the man was in, after that another man "brings him out of his thoughts", I mean, "volver en sí" (to come round, isn´t it?)

"Un hombre me hace volver en sí, está parado frente a mí, cerrándome el paso...", but I think it can be improved...

Anyone else who helps us?

10. juramaca Senior Member

Gringolandia, DFW metro area
    Mexicalpan de las Tunas, TexMex
    Todo lo que se ha propuesto suena moderadamente bien.

Mi intento:

Un hombre me saca de mis meditaciones, esta plantado frente a mi, obstruyendo mi paso...

Esperemos a ver que proponen los demas.

11. losher Senior Member

SF, USA
    American/British hybrid
    Hi Edwin, I ran it past my oracle, and while we both think the "is stood" is grammatically correct, he considers it an uncommon usage, somewhat literary sounding.

A quick google search turns up, for example:

"..in summer a jar of flowers grown in her own garden is stood on the top of some dusty pile..." -- Street Haunting, A London Adventure, 1927, Virginia Woolf.

Note that Woolf was British, as am I. Perhaps it's a Britishism? We can take it up on the English-only forum if you'd like...

Cheers,

Losher

12. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    Hola, Losher, I didn't say that "is stood" is never used. And no, it's not a British only usage. The verb stand can be transitive or intransitive.

In summer the jar is stood on top of the pile is fine. To me the implication is that somebody put it there. It didn't stand by itself. But, if refering to a person one says, "he is stood in front of me"---it means to me (as I said above) that one or more people hold him upright or somehow place him in front of me.

Do you think, "he stood in front of me" and "he is stood in front of me" mean the same thing?

Ask about the whole original sentence:
    in the English Only forum and see what people say:

It makes perfectly good sense to me, but only if you assume that somebody or some group "stood him (up) in front of me" like the jar was stood on the top of the pile in the sentence you give above. That's a possible interpretation, but we need to have the full context to know if that is reasonable. Or, if perhaps the "is" in "is stood" was put there in error?

13. losher Senior Member

SF, USA
    American/British hybrid
    Edwin, I have opened a thread in the English-only forum with the phrase in question as it's subject line. It should be interesting....

Losher