a man he might have known to have lived the longest

Ivan_I

Russian
A bit loaded sentences, I guess. Still, do they sound correct to you?

1 I asked Marvin yesterday about a man he might have known to have lived the longest in this settlement.
2 I asked Marvin yesterday about a man to have lived the longest in this settlement of which he might be aware of.
3 I asked Marvin yesterday about a man having lived the longest in this settlement known of by Marvin.

• grassy

Polish
    No. They are clumsy and they have grammatical mistakes e.g. two of's in the second one, where only one is required; or the wrong use of 'having lived' in sentence 3.

anthox

English - Northeast US
    I agree with grassy, none of these sentences sound correct, for various reasons. I'm not entirely sure what they are trying to convey. Do you mean to ask Marvin about a particular man who has lived in the settlement the longest? Or do you mean to ask Marvin which (unknown) man has lived in the settlement the longest?

anthox

English - Northeast US
    Then I would propose:

I asked Marvin yesterday about which man had lived in the settlement the longest.

Or:

I asked Marvin yesterday which man he knew to have lived in the settlement the longest.

Ivan_I

Russian
    How about this:
    I asked Marvin yesterday about a man known to him who had lived in this settlement the longest.

< Previous | Next >