A man lost his son in 1992 when having a bowl of wonton ....

jiamajia

Mandarin
A man lost his son in 1992 when having a bowl of wonton in Nanjing. Recently he got a letter from China's Child Adoption Center. The letter says his son's been adopted by an American family, and is doing postgraduate studies there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My question is: 'lost his son' is too vague, isn't it?

Do you have a better wording? Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It does leave a lot of questions open, and the manner of reporting is oddly casual. People rarely lose their children in the sense of misplacing them. Usually it is the result of a dramatic incident of some sort. At the very least the loss of a child is described as a 'disappearance'.

Parla asks a good question. I assumed that this was something you were writing. Or, did you see it somewhere? Please tell us explicitly what the source is.

Cagey

English - US
    I see no reference in English on this Chinese site regarding the quote you present ("lost his son.")

If it's in Chinese, that's hardly within the purview of the English Only forum.
    Yesterday, the site linked to included a short paragraph containing this sentence. It has changed today. The site appeared to contain summaries of news stories. I suspect that the original story is the one Copyright linked to.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yesterday, the site linked to included a short paragraph containing this sentence. It has changed today. The site appeared to contain summaries of news stories. I suspect that the original story is the one Copyright linked to.
    However, that story is about a woman (not a man) who lost her son when she went into a store to buy a bottle of water (not while having wonton soup) in 1995 (not 1992). I suspect that they are not related, despite both being about people who lost sons in Nanjing and learned much later that their sons had been adopted by Americans. That is, I am afraid, something that happened more than once, and surely not only in Nanjing.

Cagey

English - US
    Perhaps you are right. However, although in Copyright's linked story the son was with his mother when he disappeared, the article focuses on the father who is suing for the right to contact his son. It seems likely to me that the paragraph is a condensed and somewhat inaccurate version of that story. The son in that story disappeared in 1992 as well; 1995 is the year they were told the son had been adopted.
    Li Xuwen, 47, a resident of Wuhu city in Anhui Province, has been looking for Li Xiang for 19 years since the 6-year-old went missing in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province in May 1992.
    Possibly this sort of thing happens more frequently than I would suppose.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    A man lost his son in 1992 when having a bowl of wonton in Nanjing. Recently he got a letter from China's Child Adoption Center. The letter says his son's been adopted by an American family, and is doing postgraduate studies there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My question is: 'lost his son' is too vague, isn't it?

Do you have a better wording? Thank you.
    Getting back to your question, yes. It is very vague. Did he lose his son to death or did the son wander off or was he kidnapped or did the man leave the son behind? Also, while I assume it was the man who waseating a bowl of wonton, from the sentence it could also be the son.

< Previous | Next >