A man was blocking my way.

stelingo

English
I wrote an entry on Lang8, describing how I was robbed on the underground in Rome.

很可惜在地铁里我的钱包被偷了。我试图上车的时候,有一个人堵了塞我的入口。

Unfortunately my wallet was stolen in the underground. When I tried to get on the train, there was a man blocking my way.

Someone wrote that 堵塞 doesn't sound right in the sentence but they didn't offer an alternative. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• stellari

Mandarin Chinese
    You can say "有(一)个人堵住了入口" (there was a man blocking the entrance), or "有(一)个人(在入口处)堵住了我"(there was a man blocking me [at the entrance]) or "有(一)个人(在入口处)堵住了我的去路"(there was a man blocking my way [at the entrance]).

You don't say "我的入口"(My entrance) since the entrance is a part of the train, not "me". 堵塞 is not wrong, but it is a somewhat "big" word that does not go well with the plain/casual language used for rest of the sentence. 堵塞 is more appropriate than 堵住 in news reports and scientific papers, where 堵住 just sounds too colloquial.

Lucia_zwl

Chinese (Mandarin)
    I think 有个人挡住了我的路 sounds better. He could block your way by standing in your way or simply with his arm.
    We usually use 堵(塞) when, for example, a pipe/your nose/a road is blocked, so that the water/air/traffic can't flow.

liannaly

Mandarin(Chinese)
    I wrote an entry on Lang8, describing how I was robbed on the underground in Rome.

很可惜在地铁里我的钱包被偷了。我试图上车的时候,有一个人堵了塞我的入口。

Unfortunately my wallet was stolen in the underground. When I tried to get on the train, there was a man blocking my way.

Someone wrote that 堵塞 doesn't sound right in the sentence but they didn't offer an alternative. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    有一个人挡住了我的去路。

< Previous | Next >