A man who channels divine power

< Previous | Next >

arueng

CHINESE
In his new 3D action film "Priest," Paul Bettany plays a tough warrior with a cross tattooed on his face, a man who channels divine power to combat the vampire army that terrorizes the citizens of a post-apocalyptic world. ...

The link:http://www.studentpost.com.tw/entertainment/

Hi,
How should I understand "a man who channels divine power to combat ...?" Does it mean "a man who serves as an agent of divine power ...?" Thanks.

• Tazzler

American English
    He receives power from some sort of divinity. I don't know the plot of that movie well, so I don't know what that divinity might be, if it's the Christian God or something else..

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Tazzler, for the reply.

So channels here refers to "receives." It makes sense to me, but this meaning doesn't seem to be included in the dictionary!

Kikurukina

Canadian English
    Actually, I see "channel" in the sense of "redirect." This kind of wording is something I more often in fantasy fiction. I haven't seen the movie yet but I think what the character is doing is using God's magical power.

arueng

CHINESE
    Actually, I see "channel" in the sense of "redirect." This kind of wording is something I ( ...) more often in fantasy fiction. I haven't seen the movie yet but I think what the character is doing is using God's magical power.
    Thanks, Kiku, for the help.

I think you missed one word after "I" in your post! Is it "find" or "see?"

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Imagine you have a large tank full of water on your roof. A pipe would channel that water to your kitchen where you wanted it. In this case, the "divine power" is like that tank full of water, and the character is like the pipe.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    ...a man who channels divine power...
    In mystical environments, a channeler is a person who somehow is able to take energy or magical knowledge into their body from an outside source.

Here, it probably means he's somehow able to access power from a divine entity - something that's beyond human in some way.

This power can be both physical or spiritual or both.

arueng

CHINESE
    Imagine you have a large tank full of water on your roof. A pipe would channel that water to your kitchen where you wanted it. In this case, the "divine power" is like that tank full of water, and the character is like the pipe.
    Thanks, GWB, for the excellent analogy!

arueng

CHINESE
    In mystical environments, a channeler is a person who somehow is able to take energy or magical knowledge into their body from an outside source.

Here, it probably means he's somehow able to access power from a divine entity - something that's beyond human in some way.

This power can be both physical or spiritual or both.
    Thanks, Angel, for the helpful info!

< Previous | Next >