A man who doesn't care when his wife has sex with others

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Hello teachers, I hope you all are fine.

Is there any word in English to be used to mean: a man who has a sister, mother, wife, and doesn’t care when they do vulgar things. For example his wife does sex with other guys and he knows it but he is carefree and doesn’t show any reaction. Or suppose his sister or mother do bad thins (sex) with others but he is carefree and he doesn’t say anything to them or never warns them. (in brief he has a negative role, and people hate this kind of man)

Is there such a word in English? (His wife or sister or mother does sex or wear vulgar clothes but he doesn't care)

Many thanks in advance.

• sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    I haven't seen Cuckold. Thanks for it. But Dictionary says it's old fashioned word. Isn't it used these days?

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Yes, it is used. It's not terribly common, but a search of Google News (which searches only current websites of media outlets) brings up 175 hits, which is more than I was expecting.
    Thanks for answering and do you think of any other word having that meaning?

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Not that I know of, and cuckold is, as far as I know, applicable to men only. Again, as Biffo, noted, there is nothing in the word that implies the man is happy about the situation. It can be used as either a noun or a verb, and the verb form is probably more common.

There are a number of ways to describe people who are careless about their morals and those of their family members, but there is no word that's specific to being careless about sexual activity.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    There is a US term, open marriage, meaning a marriage in which both the husband and wife are free to engage in sex with others from time to time, and neither objects.

I haven't heard of any such arrangements that are one-sided, such as you describe.

(In the US, a man has no legal interest in the activities of his mother, sister, or other relatives.)

In answer to your related question: I've never heard or seen any use of "cuckold" except in old books. I don't think there's any contemporary single word with the same meaning. We just say "his wife is cheating on him" or, if he's doing it, "her husband is cheating on her". Or, "he [or she] is having an affair".

pob14

American English
    Do you mean Cuckold is not used in the US?
    JustKate said it's "not terribly common," which I would agree with. You read it in Shakespeare, and other old literature, so it's useful to know, but it would be kind of strange to hear it conversationally.

"Open marriage" describes a consenting relationship in which both partners have sex with others. "Cuckold" is an old word for a husband whose wife cheats on him. They don't really have anything to do with each other, and neither fits what you wanted in the OP; l don't think there is any word that does.

Edit: crossposted with Parla; it seems that we agree.

yme

English - USA
    Do you mean Cuckold is not used in the US?
    no. Not at all. "Cuckold" is good (but just not so commonly used).
    In the USA, most people only know the phrase "open marriage" because of the American politician named Newt Gingrich.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    There is a US term, open marriage, meaning a marriage in which both the husband and wife are free to engage in sex with others from time to time, and neither objects.

I haven't heard of any such arrangements that are one-sided, such as you describe.

(In the US, a man has no legal interest in the activities of his mother, sister, or other relatives.)

In answer to your related question: I've never heard or seen any use of "cuckold" except in old books. I don't think there's any contemporary single word with the same meaning. We just say "his wife is cheating on him" or, if he's doing it, "her husband is cheating on her". Or, "he [or she] is having an affair".
    It is still used, though, Parla. It wouldn't be on Google News if it weren't since Google News searches only recent content from media outlets. And by "recent," I mean something like 30 days old or less. It isn't common, and sometimes when it is used, it isn't being used literally (one listing talked about the New York Police Department being cuckolded), but it is still used.

"Open marriage" is different because that is an arrangement that is mutually agreed on by both the husband and wife.

Last edited:

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Regarding what JustKate and POB said as to _not common_ in AE. You've got to be kidding.
    Google "cuckolded him." 42,000 hits.
    Yes, but a lot of those are going to be references to older documents since nothing ever dies on the Internet. Google News, which shows only very recent listings, shows it being a lot less common, but still in use.

Not all of the listings were AmE, by the way. I found some for the UK.

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    Google ngram seems to show that there was quite a lot of cukolding going on in Britain around the 1780s. In America the peak seems to have been around 1760. My guess is that these peaks relate to historical events in the two countries.

Apart from that, the graphs for British and American usage don't seem too different.

BE: ngram - cuckold - 1700-2000 http://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...00&year_end=2000&corpus=18&smoothing=3&share=

AE: ngram - cuckold - 1700-2000 http://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...00&year_end=2000&corpus=17&smoothing=3&share=

< Previous | Next >