A man with a gut does not an attractive picture paint

< Previous | Next >
  • Copyright

American English
    Certainly unusual. It means that a man with a gut doesn't make an attractive picture -- a man with a gut doesn't look good.

Loob

English UK
    Thanks for the context, slowik.

It's clearly not a clever use of the allusion to "one swallow...". The meaning of the Aristotle expression is something like "Just because you've seen one swallow, that doesn't mean it's summer". Translating to your sentence, that would give you "Just because you've seen one man with a gut, that doesn't mean you've got an attractive picture" - which is rubbish.

So, it's either a completely wrong adaptation of the saying - or there's some other reason for the odd word order. I must admit, I can't think of one:(.

ghotioutofh2o

USA
    American English
    It sounds like German word order.

On a side note, I think it's funny that an article on uk.askmen.com was written by Shannon Clark, presumably a woman.

slowik

Polish
    Maybe the journalist simply wanted to show the simple fact (that a gut makes a man unattractive) in a proverbial way? Or a way that would show the obviousness of it? After all, old truths can be found in old sayings.

Loob

English UK
    Maybe the journalist simply wanted to show the simple fact (that a gut makes a man unattractive) in a proverbial way?
    Yes, I expect that's it.

(I still don't think it's cleverly done, though:(.)

< Previous | Next >