a 'mango' was named for her

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hello,

Do you have any idea what does mango here mean?

"Mater had been such the belle in her day that a mango was named for her: Haseena. "She was a notorious flirt," said Lola... .

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Desai.

Best Regards and lots of thanks.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Um, it means a mango, right? The fruit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango

More specifically, it means "a variety of mango." There are lots of different apples: Yellow Delicious, Granny Smith, Pippin. I could conceivably invent a new kind of apple (by cross-breeding or by discovering a new, wild plant) and then name it after my mom. I would then say "My mom had an apple named for her: Cornelian." (My mom's middle name is Cornelia, so the Cornelian apple would be the variety named after my mom.)

I could also, say, be a fungus scientist and discover a new fungus. I could then name it after my awful boss: amanita jerkoria. (My boss is such a jerk that I named the mushroom after a characteristic of his, rather than taking his name.)

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Thank you, lucas. Haseena is an Urdu, Arabic, African name- means beautiful woman. From what you've said, I guess mango name is a name with different several origins. Is that right?

WyomingSue

English--USA
    Evidently the speaker's mother was named Haseena. That's why the mango variety was called "Haseena" in her honor. I don't think the origin of her name is relevant here.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    It's not necessarily true that the mother's name is Haseena. If she was a flirt, and a successful one, then she was probably a "beautiful woman." The variety could be named after her main characteristic or her name, either way.

It's not that "mango" has several origins. It's that, like most fruits and vegetables, there are lots of different varieties of mango. A particular kind of mango​ was named after the mother.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Sue. The idea is that a variety of mango was named "mango Haseena" after Lola's mother:).

< Previous | Next >