A map is a drawing of a place

greenrogers

English-US
I am translating a textbook for first graders from English to French. I understand the difference between "une carte" and "un plan." Sometimes the text gives a general definition of map that is supposed to be inclusive of both types. For example,
"2. A Map Is a Drawing of a Place A map is a flat drawing of a place. It may show what a place looks like from above. Some maps show land, water, and mountains. Some show countries and cities. Some maps show rooms. What would a map of your classroom look like?" How would you translate this paragraph?

• Yendred

Français - France
    The paragraph indeed covers both une carte and un plan:

"2. A Map (une carte ou un plan) Is a Drawing of a Place A map (une carte ou un plan) is a flat drawing of a place. It may show what a place looks like from above. Some maps (cartes) show land, water, and mountains. Some show countries and cities. Some maps (plans) show rooms. What would a map (plan) of your classroom look like?"

Does it answer your question?

greenrogers

English-US
    Thanks for your response. This is what I ended up with: Heading: "2. Une carte ou un plan est un dessin d'un lieu." Paragraph: "Une carte ou un plan est un dessin à plat d'un lieu. Cela peut montrer à quoi ressemble un endroit vu d'en haut. Certaines cartes montrent la terre, l'eau et les montagnes. Certains plans montrent des pays et des villes. Certains plans montrent des salles. À quoi ressemblerait un plan de ta salle de classe ?" I find the beginning of these first sentences a little awkward. Maybe "Une carte, ou un plan, est un dessin..."