a mean piece of work

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Xenxoo, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Xenxoo Member

Illinois, US
    Español Europeo
    Hi guys! Could anyone help me translate this into Spanish?:

- "She's a mean piece of work"

- Context: It appears in a conversation with a teenager where he says that he's failing maths just coz the teacher doesn't like him, and he sums up giving this brief description... I can guess the meaning is not exactly what I'd call flattering :D but don't know how to translate it anyway..

THANKS!!

-- Please correct me! I wanna leaaarn!! --

2. charmm New Member

Spain
    English - British
    A literal translation would be: Es una obra mala or obra tacaña.

It´s a saying that we use to mean that a person is not very nice. You can also say "She/he is a nasty piece of work" - which I would say is actually more common.

Ps. I don´t see anything to correct in this post - actually I had to look at your status to see if you were a native speaker or not becasue it looks perfect to me! Congratulations! I am very jealous!

3. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Estoy de acuerdo con charmm, en todo (salvo "jealous", que debería ser "envious", pero esa es una batalla perdida). :(
    Es más frecuente "nasty", y pareces nativo, Xenxoo. Te tengo envidia.
    En cuanto a la traducción, podría ser cualquier cosa. Sin conocer más a fondo el contexto, diría "cabrón", "canalla", etc. Seguro que se te ocurren decenas más. :)

4. Xenxoo Member

Illinois, US
    Español Europeo
    Thank you both guys for your help!! now I can figure out what this guy means, and I'll think of an "accurate" way to translate it into Spanish conveying its whooole meaning..haha..and btw, thanks a lot for the additional comments too!! :D Gotta say that living in the States for some time helps a lot..it's a matter of survival, u know? that's the key to learn! :D . Anyway I guess it takes ages to speak in a native-like way, but keep on working you too!, aztlaniano you're doing it great!! I wouldn't have said you're not Spanish either, just let me give you an advice:

it's more common in Spanish to say: "te envidio" than "te tengo envidia", the latter doesn't sound very natural.., don't know why.. :confused:

BYEEE
    -- (again: Please correct me, I wanna leaaaaaarn --

5. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    "key to learning".
    "speak like a native", or "close to the way a native speaks"
    "a piece of advice" (it's not countable, like "help", you give someone some/a bit/a lot/a little, etc help, not one help or two helps.
    Aun así, todavía te envidio.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. Xenxoo Member

Illinois, US
    Español Europeo
    haha..ok!!I'll write that down, THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN!! :thumbsup: