a mean piece of work

Xenxoo

Español Europeo
Hi guys! Could anyone help me translate this into Spanish?:

- "She's a mean piece of work"

- Context: It appears in a conversation with a teenager where he says that he's failing maths just coz the teacher doesn't like him, and he sums up giving this brief description... I can guess the meaning is not exactly what I'd call flattering :D but don't know how to translate it anyway..

THANKS!!

-- Please correct me! I wanna leaaarn!! --

• charmm

English - British
    A literal translation would be: Es una obra mala or obra tacaña.

It´s a saying that we use to mean that a person is not very nice. You can also say "She/he is a nasty piece of work" - which I would say is actually more common.

Ps. I don´t see anything to correct in this post - actually I had to look at your status to see if you were a native speaker or not becasue it looks perfect to me! Congratulations! I am very jealous!

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Estoy de acuerdo con charmm, en todo (salvo "jealous", que debería ser "envious", pero esa es una batalla perdida). :(
    Es más frecuente "nasty", y pareces nativo, Xenxoo. Te tengo envidia.
    En cuanto a la traducción, podría ser cualquier cosa. Sin conocer más a fondo el contexto, diría "cabrón", "canalla", etc. Seguro que se te ocurren decenas más. :)

Xenxoo

Español Europeo
    Thank you both guys for your help!! now I can figure out what this guy means, and I'll think of an "accurate" way to translate it into Spanish conveying its whooole meaning..haha..and btw, thanks a lot for the additional comments too!! :D Gotta say that living in the States for some time helps a lot..it's a matter of survival, u know? that's the key to learn! :D . Anyway I guess it takes ages to speak in a native-like way, but keep on working you too!, aztlaniano you're doing it great!! I wouldn't have said you're not Spanish either, just let me give you an advice:

it's more common in Spanish to say: "te envidio" than "te tengo envidia", the latter doesn't sound very natural.., don't know why.. :confused:

BYEEE
    -- (again: Please correct me, I wanna leaaaaaarn --

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    "key to learning".
    "speak like a native", or "close to the way a native speaks"
    "a piece of advice" (it's not countable, like "help", you give someone some/a bit/a lot/a little, etc help, not one help or two helps.
    Aun así, todavía te envidio.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >