A meaning in English for λαμπερότατος

ikeshut

English - Australia
Hi, I am looking for a meaning in English for the word λαμπερότατος
It seems to be a musical term, as in the sentence:

Ο ήχος που παραγόταν ήταν λαμπερότατος και έμοιαζε πολύ με αυτόν του μπαγλαμά.

I've tried searching online but can't find anything. I would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

• Αγγελος

Greek
    "very bright"? "very clear"? "luminous"? I have no idea what any of those might suggest in English when applied to a sound, but λαμπερότατος doesn't suggest anything to me when applied to ήχος, either. Then again I don't know much about music... The only time I have seen λαμπερότατος before was in a Cretan song:
    Ποιος ήλιος λαμπερότατος σου 'δωκε τη λαμπράδα;​
    where of course the word is intended literally.

ikeshut

English - Australia
    Thank you so much. The description of a bright, clear sound fits perfectly. What is being described is a way of using the string of beads (κομπολοι or μπεγλέρια) and a glass as a musical percussive instrument (ποτιροκομπολοι). The preceding sentence to the one I quoted describes the process:
    Ελλείψει όμως μπαγλαμά, και για να συμπληρωθεί το κενό, κάποιος της παρέας που κάτεχε από ρυθμό στερέωνε ένα κομπολόι (από το μέσον της αρμαθιάς) σ’ ένα κουμπί από το κουμπωμένο γιλέκο του, πίεζε τις χάντρες σφιχτά μεταξύ τους και πάνω σ’ αυτές τις χάντρες έτριβε ένα άδειο ποτηράκι, στον ρυθμό του τραγουδιού.
    I must admit I'm still getting my head around this description. If you could explain in English what exactly is happening with the beads and glass I would really appreciate it.

Αγγελος

Greek
    Ελλείψει όμως μπαγλαμά, και για να συμπληρωθεί το κενό, κάποιος της παρέας που κάτεχε από ρυθμό στερέωνε ένα κομπολόι (από το μέσον της αρμαθιάς) σ’ ένα κουμπί από το κουμπωμένο γιλέκο του, πίεζε τις χάντρες σφιχτά μεταξύ τους και πάνω σ’ αυτές τις χάντρες έτριβε ένα άδειο ποτηράκι, στον ρυθμό του τραγουδιού.
    I must admit I'm still getting my head around this description. If you could explain in English what exactly is happening with the beads and glass I would really appreciate it.
    "Lacking a μπαγλαμά, to fill the gap, a member of the bunch who knew about rhythm would fasten a κομπολόι (from the middle of the string of beads) to a button of his buttoned-up vest, press the beads tightly against each other and on those beads rub an empty glass, following the rhythm of the song." But I guess you could figure out this much.
    I suppose glass rubbed on amber produces a sound, and if you "know about rhythm" you can accompany the singing that way.

ikeshut

English - Australia
    Thank you Αλλελος for that really clear explanation and also thank you to LoukasX - I really appreciate your help.

< Previous | Next >