a mente fresca

littleparties

Italiana
Hi all,

does something like "a mente fresca" exist in English?
The sentence is "Fare qualcosa a mente fresca", meaning that you shouldn't be tired nor distracted to do that specific thing, but you should be able to focus, when your mind is still fresh...

Can I say "with a fresh mind"?
Thank you all!

• elfa

English
    Can I say "with a fresh mind"?

Hi littleparties :)

This would be understood, but to me it wouldn't be the most natural way of saying it. You could say "to do something when your mind is fresh". Or "to do something when you feel more refreshed mentally" - although this would imply that you had been tired prior to tackling the thing you are talking about. E.g.

Choose a moment to do it when you are more refreshed mentally.

Whereas if you said

Do it when your mind is fresh it wouldn't presuppose a prior state of fatigue e.g. first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

Ref_126

Bilingual: English (US) - Italian
    Sorry to have to resurrect this thread but I think these corpus-based examples kind of translate the same idea as the OP's original phrase well enough:

"... until the next morning when I can examine it with a fresh mind. "
    "... if you'd take a break and see it with a fresh mind. "
    "... set it aside for a few days and come back to it with a fresh mind."
    "After each draft have I put it aside then worked on it with a fresh mind a few days later?"

elfa

English
    "... until the next morning when I can examine it with a fresh mind. "
    "... if you'd take a break and see it with a fresh mind. "
    "... set it aside for a few days and come back to it with a fresh mind."
    "After each draft have I put it aside then worked on it with a fresh mind a few days later?"

Hi Ref_126,

It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I don't think I've changed my mind since my previous post in 2014. "with a fresh mind" doesn't sound as natural to me as "when your mind is fresh", for example. As I say, just my opinion :)

Ref_126

Bilingual: English (US) - Italian
    Thanks. For the sake of completeness, this old, yet related thread is worth checking out:

on/with a fresh/clear head

Someone from England commented on the subject and had this to say:

"I think with a clear head/mind is what most people would say, with with a fresh mind coming second."

Hi Ref_126,

It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I don't think I've changed my mind since my previous post in 2014. "with a fresh mind" doesn't sound as natural to me as "when your mind is fresh", for example. As I say, just my opinion :)

Gianfry

Italian
    "a mente fresca" significa semplicemente "con la mente riposata", mentre "with a fresh mind" fa pensare più a un approccio diverso, originale, quindi non mi sembra la traduzione migliore.