A message

< Previous | Next >

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Good evening dear friends,

Do you think "A message" here means:

1-This is a message: I will love you after all.
OR
2- it means:----
OR
3-his coming conveys this message that: ----
OR
4- He's someone who is bringing a message:----

I shall explain that here Sai suddenly "became conscious of a tiny dot of a figure laboring up" the mountain. So, suddenly she thinks maybe the dot is his lover, Gyan! They broke up before, and she has been very angry with him, even hated him, but deep inside, she still loved him, and was looking forward to seeing him.

"Gyan? she thought with a burst of hope. A message: I will love you after all .
Someone who had found Mutt{their missing dog}? Right here.... She's right here, alive and well! Plumper than even!"

Thank you so much for your suggestions.
It's part of Inheritance of Loss.

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    I agree with cycloneviv. Sort of. His appearance seems to mean he's come back to declare his love for her.

However, you're really confusing the scene by throwing in the dog issue that seems not to have any relevance to his personal appearance on the hill.

On the other hand, the way you've presented it here to us, it could also mean she's having an inner dialogue with herself. The very sight of him makes it clear in her mind that, despite past hurts, her heart still loves him after all.

It could go either way.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    AngelEyes, my understanding is that the reference to the dog is from the novel. It is the sentence that comes after the "message" bit that we are discussing. Sai is not sure that the speck coming up the hill is Gyan -- she is guessing. It might be Gyan come to tell her that he will love her again, or it could be somebody bringing good news about the dog.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    cycloneviv, I'm impressed you got all that from post #1. :)

And yes, explained as you did, it makes sense. If you're correct, I'd say her thoughts are being expressed outward then. Gyan's mesage is clear: in her mind, his very appearance means he loves her after all.

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Dear AngelEyes, thank you for your idea. As Cycloneviv explained, the dog issue has come right after the message. And you're right about the inner dialogue within Sai. She first thinks that the dot is Gyan, and then she thinks he's some one who has found their missing dog, since they expected for days for her return.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Hi, Maryam. What is the sentence immediately preceding the first sentence quoted? I don't think she necessarily connects Gyam with the person who found the dog. Her first thought is Gyam (maybe he still loves me). Her second thought is somebody who found the dog.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I agree with Liliana. Theses are two separate possibilities that have leapt to her mind. First she thinks it might be Gyan, then she thinks it might be somebody else bringing the dog back.

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Hi, Maryam. What is the sentence immediately preceding the first sentence quoted? I don't think she necessarily connects Gyam with the person who found the dog. Her first thought is Gyam (maybe he still loves me). Her second thought is somebody who found the dog.
    Hi Liliana, I didn't mean she connected Gyan with some one who found the dog. I meant just as what you've said; after thinking about Gyan, she thinks about the dog. There are no relation between these two thoughts.:)

< Previous | Next >