A mistake?

< Previous | Next >

Edgardg

Polish, Poland
Hi everyone,

could you tell me if this sentence is correct? I found it in a tapescript of my text book: "I'm lead operator in the water treatment plant." Shouldn't there be "a" before "lead"?

Thank you

• JamesM

Hi everyone,

could you tell me if this sentence is correct? I found it in a tapescript of my text book: "I'm lead operator in the water treatment plant." Shouldn't there be "a" before "lead"?

Thank you
    This is a common way to speak when talking about positions.

"I'm National Sales Manager for Oreo Cookies."
    "I'm Vice President of Operations."
    "I'm foreman of a drilling crew."
    "I'm Principal of Peach Hill Elementary."

If anything's missing, I'd say it would be "the" instead of "a". If there are many people who hold the same position, then the "a" is included.

"I'm a lineman for the local electric company."
    "I'm a salesperson at Macy's Department Store."
    "I'm a teacher at Peach Hill Elementary."

MidlandsMezzo

English (UK) United Kingdom
    Hi

To me, to say "I'm lead operator", implies that there is ony one lead operator.

For instance, I would say, "I'm an Administrator working at ----" when asked what my job is. This is because there are several other Administrators working there.

In contrast, if I were in Germany, I would say "I am Administrator" which is how it is expressed in German - no indefinite articles are used in this context.

Regards

MidlandsMezzo

Irish2006

Ireland, English
    Another twist on this is where seniority can be implied by the use of a or the

I am a lead operator suggests one of many
    I am the lead operator suggests a higher level of seniority to a lead operator

I agree with previous post who suggests the "the" is what is missing, not the "a", in your original sentence

< Previous | Next >