a modern bungalow in a settlement

jacdac

Lebanese
Craig Henderson’s parents lived in a modern bungalow in a settlement north of Ravenswick, right on the coast. The Hendersons ran a complex of holiday chalets on the same site.
Source: Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves
Context: Ravenswick is in Shetland.

I wonder whether the terms settlement and bungalow are in common parlance in Scotland and England and around the world. Or something you read in a novel only.

Gloss:
settlement : a small community, village, or group of houses in a thinly populated area.
bungalow: a small house or summer cottage.

Thank you.

• Loob

English UK
    Bungalow: everyday BrE.
    Settlement: in my passive rather than active usage.

Cross-posted.

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Bungalow" is very common in all of Britain (including Ireland, so far as I can tell). In some cases, it might be confined to modern properties; you have mentioned several crofts in your questions and I expect they are all bungalows, but I doubt any of them have been described as such.

"Settlement" is unusual for describing modern collections of houses/buildings, and tends only to be used when there isn't another more obvious description to use, such as "village" or "hamlet" (but "hamlet" is rather quaint, and a little old-fashioned now, I think).

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Bungalow is certainly as common as "house".
    "Settlement" is not common because in the UK there are not many places that fit the definition. A "settlement" is a large area very thinly scattered with a few small houses/bungalows.

I suggest you look at Google Earth (or other satellite map) and have a look at the Shetlands and Orkneys. You will see areas that are given a place name but are not a town, village or even hamlet - just a few houses scattered about.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    A bungalow is a one storey house in the UK. They can be found in the suburbs and in rural areas. Some bungalows are large. The definition seems to refer to the Indian meaning of the word, Hindi I guess.
    Settlement is an unusual world in England at least. It implies a place that's not really an established village with a church and a shop, just a collection of dwellings in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    [Response to now-deleted post removed. DonnyB - moderator].
    Maybe 'settlement' has a special meaning in Scotland, Shetland or the Orkneys. I'm not sure if they even think of themselves as Scots.

Last edited by a moderator:

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. Is the use of word bungalow restricted to a specific type of residence- small such as a cottage or a small house or a modern or croft dwelling - or is it a general term of any single storey house irrespective of size?

Andygc

British English
    A settlement is a small cluster of dwellings, and is a reasonable description of a group of dwellings on a Scottish island that is perhaps not big enough to be called a village. There are plenty of settlements in rural England as well. Random House in the WordReference dictionary:
    a small community, village, or group of houses in a thinly populated area.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I remember learning all about "settlements" when I was doing 'O level' Geography at school, but for me, living in England, it's not a word I come across in ordinary everyday use.

Andygc

British English
    It's a perfectly unremarkable word, also used in England. For example: Local Plan Review 2020 - 2040 - Settlement Boundary Review - Teignbridge District Council
    In this case, not a small cluster of dwellings.
    6. Settlement Boundary Review
    • a settlement boundary is the line around the built form of larger settlements, dividing the built area from the surrounding countryside
    • the principle of residential development within a boundary is usually acceptable, whereas such development is strictly controlled outside the boundary
    • settlement boundaries in Teignbridge have not been comprehensively reviewed since 1996

Andygc

British English
    I'd say it's a jargon or technical word.
    :confused:
    Some of many examples in the British National Corpus
    Well before noon, beside a small church whose roof sagged under clumps of grass and willow-herb, they came to the bridge over to Grandtully and looked across at the dense little settlement, lumpish houses made of undressed river boulders with brown smoke streaming through their heather thatch, hovels of branches littered through the trees, a few solid cottages with level roof-trees.

At the head of the valley we reached a tiny settlement and stopped to ask the way.

Thus a settlement of two or three farmsteads, or even an isolated one, could be the shrunken remains of a village or hamlet.

As an old-established settlement, it had boasted its own school since 1604 and the schoolmaster's house of this date, although much altered, survives on an adjoining site.

Hence the enormous success of Oldham, a hilly settlement in East Lancashire with considerable reserves of coal, situated only 11km (7 miles) from Manchester, the greatest yarn market in the world in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

< Previous | Next >