a more conscientious attention?

< Previous | Next >

Azure

Chinese
Dear All,

I have problem with comprehending this sentence:

"Now that the lake had a better channel for drainage, worries about bad air could be countered by a more conscientious attention to the letting out and the stopping up of the water flow."

What does it mean by "a more conscientious attention to the letting out and the stopping up of the water flow"? What's bad air to do with the whole thing?

• dmhflip

English - USA
    I think that the bad air could have been because of the lack of drainage of the lake. For instance, the lake could be stagnant and therefore causing a smell or stench (caused by decomposition of biological matter on the lake bottom or for some other reason related to the insufficient drainage).

As for the "a more conscientious attention to the letting out and the stopping up of the water flow", I think that they might just mean that more attention could be given to the release and stopping of the water flow, now that the drainage problem of the lake was taken care of properly.

Azure said:
    Dear All,

"Now that the lake had a better channel for drainage, worries about bad air could be countered by a more conscientious attention to the letting out and the stopping up of the water flow."

What does it mean by "a more conscientious attention to the letting out and the stopping up of the water flow"? What's bad air to do with the whole thing?

Hi Azure,

1. The lake used to give off a bad smell.

2. A better drainage channel was dug, to allow water to enter or leave the lake. An exit at one end and an entrance at the other.

3. Thanks to the new drainage channel, much more attention could be paid to releasing stale water and allowing fresh water to enter, thus getting rid of the bad smell.

4. The people who cared for the lake could be more conscientious about keeping the bad smell away. They could make that their top priority. It was a simple matter of letting out stagnant water by opening the drainage channel at one end. Then closing it and letting in fresh water at the other end.

LRV

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Azure said:
    Dear All,

"A more conscientious attention" implies that someone had asked previously that this "letting out" and "stopping up" be done and that it was done haphazardly - the expected benefits had not materialised and the drainage had someone eased problems which may have been deterring those responsible for doing the "letting out" and the "stopping up".

This sounds like a study in malaria - an illness once thought to be due to bad air - hence the name malaria.
    It was found that mosquitos prefer standing water for laying their eggs. ensuring a flow of water might have been thought to be a useful deterrent to them.

I'll try to make it a little easier, using a swimming pool as an example.

The water in a swimming pool has to be changed from time to time.

At each end of the pool there is a sluice gate which can be opened or closed.

To empty the pool the exit sluice gate is opened and the water pours away.

The emptied pool can then be thoroughly cleaned.

Making sure that the exit sluice gate is closed, the entry sluice gate is opened, the water supply turned on and the pool refilled.

In some wildlife parks, where hippos, seals and fish all live together, the lakes can become very smelly. I have seen a film where all the livestock was removed and the entire lake was drained. All the rubbish on the lake bed was removed using mechanical diggers. Then fresh water was allowed to fill up the lake and the livestock was put back. No more bad smells - until the next time.:)

LRV

Azure

Chinese
    Thanks for all your replies! I think I got the basic idea. But...can you clarify the meaning of "conscientious" in this context for me?

< Previous | Next >