A movie that does not completely blow

joanamcbarata

European Portuguese
Hello.

I need some help with this:

- Look, I need to rent "The English Patient".
- May I suggest to you a movie that does not completely blow?

What does he mean with "blow". I assume he thinks it's a a bad movie, but in what sense? Does he mean it's boring?

Thanks

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    I would say it means the movie really "sucked." It was a bad movie, for whatever reason. It could mean he finds it boring, or the acting is bad, or the storyline is weak. It could mean any number of reasons. Saying something blows means you don't like it but it's not a word you use for a specific reason. You'd have to add details to find that out.

This idiom - it blows - has replaced the "it sucks" in some situations.

THIS is rather interesting.

AngelEyes

OKtoTry

USA English
    Both "it blows" and "it sucks" are not really polite language, since they take their original meaning from a sexual act. But they are commonly used, and have mostly lost their sexual reference.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Certainly, it's common for children to use both "sucks" and "blows" to describe something that is bad or unfortunate. I would use "that sucks" at the office now, in front of female coworkers or in front of my boss; I wouldn't have used it at my job interview, though, as it is informal and would certainly not have helped me showcase my command of the language.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Since both "it blows" and "it sucks" really means "it performs fellatio", with the suggestion that it is homosexual (as in the current high-school insult "that's so gay!"), and thus to be held in contempt, I would recommend avoiding either word except in the crudest of settings.

Trouts!

British English
    GWB, Gay has changed its meaning once before (happy>homosexual) and I reckon nowadays it's changing again (homosexual>stupid, in the general sense of the word).

Not many people will get upset if you use the word "blows". Well, not many people of the younger generations, as it holds no insult to them, they see it as a tame joke.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Certain, neither "sucks" nor "blows" has a strong sexual connotation when used as an insult. Were I to tell a man that he "sucks," he would understand that I disapprove of him strongly and perhaps be offended, but it would be exceedingly unlikely that he would view this as an accusation of homosexuality.

As I said, even a reasonably reserved person such as myself might use these words in mixed company or in the office.

Packard

USA, English
    Both "it blows" and "it sucks" are not really polite language, since they take their original meaning from a sexual act. But they are commonly used, and have mostly lost their sexual reference.

Not to everyone. I still can conjure up some memorable evenings whenever I see that phrasing.

But I agree that in the most part it has lost its original meaning.

< Previous | Next >