A musical, the musical, musical, musicals

< Previous | Next >

Disneyesque

Korean 
I am writing a paper dealing with 'musical', the genre, which is popular on the Broadway or West End. But I got confused how to put article to it.
The only thing I know is that when I want to signify a random piece I should say 'a musical', and when I want to signify the special one I must say 'the musical'.

I used a musical, then musicals, and then musical, all through the paper, but I felt I should choose only one and clear one.

My question is, what can I say to mean it as a genre? No articles needed? And should I capitalise it like Musical?

Thanks in advance, for kindly helping me always.

Last edited:
  • Disneyesque

Korean 
    Glad to meet you again, Cyberpedant. Here are some of my sentences from the paper.

- When I first became to have a particular interest in the Musical, I was mesmerised by the magnificence of some musicals.
    - Read about the musical industry.

Hopefully you can tell the difference between the bold, italic and underlined words. Bold one is to mean the genre itself as a musical field. Italic one is to say for a piece like Mamma Mia or Rent. Underlined is to mean the field of musical, but to put it as a adjective.

I use this and that all through the paper, but I need to clarify the usage so that it can be read clearly. Will you use the word in a same way I did, to express the same meanings?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I don't think I've every seen it capitalised. You're using them differently in the sentences in post 3, and because of that you shouldn't be obliged use the same form of words. When you refer to the genre without considering an individual instance of the genre, you could say the musical or musicals.

Disneyesque

Korean 
    Oh, I don't want to make all the bold, italic, and underlined into one, at all. :)
    I just tried to give them an order, if there is any clear way to mention the genre, the piece and the industry individually.

I love a musical and the people involved in the musical industry.
    I love the musical.
    I love musical more than drama or mime.
    I think musical is the genre full of the storytelling aspects and that is the main reason I love it.

I just made them up. In those examples I wanted to express the same meaning, but wrote differently, which is the same case with my current paper.
    It looked messy to me, because all the paper is about musical(the genre) and musical(the pieces), I thought reader can be confused.

So, you told me that the genre can be said 'the musical' and 'musicals'. I will change the words similar to the bolds in example into the musical or musicals.
    Or I reckon it'll be more clear if I mention the genre only with 'musical theatre' :)

westwind

Chinese
    For the first example, I would say"I love musical and the people who are involved in the musical industry."
    The second, thired and fouth are all correct. But it should be noted,when you say " I love the musical," you are talking about a given musical

Disneyesque

Korean 
    I am sorry... but it seems that all of the users are telling different things to me... :confused:
    Natkretep recommended 'the musical' and 'musicals', Westwind seems to recomment mere 'musical' to mention the genre.

westwind

Chinese
    Sorry, Princess-cm. I think I have made some mistakes. The following examples may help
    I love dogs
    I love the dog
    I love dogs more than cats

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I love a musical and the people involved in the musical industry.
    This is not grammatically incorrect, but I don't think it's what you want to say.

I love the musical.
    Unless you've previously mentioned a specific musical, this means that you love the genre.

I love musical more than drama or mime.:cross:
    This is incorrect. It needs the definite article.

I think musical is the genre full of the storytelling aspects and that is the main reason I love it.:cross:
    This also needs the definite article. But there are other errors in this sentence.

Myridon

English - US
    I am sorry... but it seems that all of the users are telling different things to me... :confused:
    Natkretep recommended 'the musical' and 'musicals', Westwind seems to recomment mere 'musical' to mention the genre.
    Stick with Natkretep's advice. "I love musical" is not correct. You need to use "the musical", "musicals", or "musical theater" to speak of them in general, and "the/a musical" about a specific instance (Camelot is a musical. The musical that we saw last night was Camelot.)

Disneyesque

Korean 
    Thank you, Cyberpedant and Myridon.
    I will say 'I love musical theatre', 'I love musicals' or 'I love the musical', to say that I love the genre.
    And I will say 'I love the musical' in case I refered any particular musical before, as well.

And to mention that I love any piece of the genre, I will say 'I love a musical' to begin. (And keep using 'the musical' afterwards)
    (That's why Cyberpedant told me the first line wasn't gramatically wrong but carried the different meaning, I reckon.)

And... Dear Cyberpedant, I don't know what mistake I made other than the usage of the word musical. Could you tell it to me as well? Thank you.

< Previous | Next >