a mythology developed <that> did not emphasize

< Previous | Next >

Ausgebildet

Turkish
Hello everybody!

I am very confused about the usage of ‘that’ in the following sentence. Can any of you tell me what function it has? Is it a ‘noun clause’ or an ‘adjective clause’? What’s it modifying actually? What should I call it? Is this sentence grammatically correct? Your help is appreciated.

In the cold lands of northern Europe, a mythology developed that did not emphasize in its gods the beauty and proportion of the Greek and Roman deities.

• grassy

Polish
    I'd interpret 'that' as a relative pronoun referring to 'mythology'. I'd paraphrase it as follows:

In the cold lands of northern Europe, a mythology developed. That mythology did not emphasize ...

I think it is an adjective clause as it adds something to the meaning of mythology, it qualifies it. You can ask the question: What kind of mythology?, and in the answer add an adjective: a simple/an interesting... mythology. You can do the same with your sentence: a mythology that/which did not emphasize... developed. It is an adjective clause introduced by the relative 'that'. I hope it's been useful.

lingobingo

English - England
    In the cold lands of northern Europe, — adverbial of place
    a mythology developed — main clause, with noun and verb
    that did not emphasize in its gods the beauty and proportion of the Greek and Roman deities.
    — restrictive adjectival clause modifying “mythology’

You could also express it as ……there developed a mythology that did not (etc.)……

e2efour

UK English
    The term adjective/adjectival clause is hardly ever used when it means a relative clause (that ... deities).

The that is called a that-relative, and which (a which-relative) could also be used instead.

Ausgebildet

Turkish
    Thanks a lot for responding the thread.

What confused my mind was the place of the verb ‘develop’ there? Typically, a relative clause defines the word right before it, doesn’t it? That’s why I couldn’t help thinking if it’s a noun clause or a relative clause. But now, I understand.

In this case, I should call it an adjectival clause defining ‘a mythology’, shouldn’t I?

Your comments have been pretty useful and helpful.

< Previous | Next >